AirPort really weak since Leopard upgrade

Reaction score
I've noticed a considerable drop off in my AirPort's signal strength since I upgraded to Leopard. Used to get full bars almost anywhere in the house. Now it's three bars at best even if I've sitting right next to router in office, and hardly connecting if I'm downstairs.

Is there something I can do to remedy this?

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
I dont notice any drop off in signal, but ever since upgrading to leopard i cant download anything over a meg before the download stops.

C'mon Apple issue an update to fix this!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Did you guys do simple upgrades, Archive & Install, or Clean Install?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Simple upgrade... no drop in signal at all.. using wireless Belkin Wireless router N... seems faster to me actually...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I did a Simple Upgrade on my iMac G5 and iBook G4 just to see what would happen. Did an Archive and Install on Intel Mini. All work fine. On the Airport signal it actually seems better and stronger at a distance than with 10.4.10. It stays pegged all over the house now and even on the front porch. This is with the iBook G4 12" 1.33Ghz.

Reaction score
clean install:

network used to show 4 bars consistently. now shows 3 bars consistently. no change in routers and whatnot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66, ATI 1900, 5 GB RAM, 750 GB Storage
Weird. I have upgraded and am maxed out pretty much all the time. As someone else stated above I think it's actually faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
I think the new AirPort software sucks. I did the archive and install, in case you're wondering. I want Internet Connect back!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
I highly doubt this is Leopard related, the wifi signal strength should have nothing to do with the changes made. Instead, it probably is a coincidence related to interference that started around the time that you upgraded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, MacBookG4, and iMacG5
Weak signals on 2 of 4 machines

I highly doubt this is Leopard related, the wifi signal strength should have nothing to do with the changes made. Instead, it probably is a coincidence related to interference that started around the time that you upgraded.

I have installed Leopard on several machines. Macs with Airport Extreme cards suffer no loss of signal. Macs with the older airport cards have a big loss of signal. Machines that had a 5 bars signal now have only 2 bars. (I've seen this on a MacBookG4 and an iMac).

But, the newer AirPort cards don't experience this (MacBookPro and iBook).

Leopard sure does look like the culprit.

Reaction score
Re: Airport Really Weak since Leopard upgrade

I too am having problems. I have updated three primarily wireless machines:

A year or so old MacBook, simple update, good signal strength, poor performance
A three year or so old iBook, simple update, good signal strength, poor performance
A 1 GHz TiBook (4/5 years old?), full clean install, very weak reception, lots of drops
All worked fine before the upgrade

Based on this, it seems that there is a clear correlation between Leopard on older machines and diminished wireless reception and between Leopard and reduced wireless performance.

I also found a maybe related issue by chance. In a web page for my ISP (Cox cable), they provide direct DNS addresses and suggest using these addresses to "Opt Out of Enhanced Error Results Page - Mac 10.5". After making this change (entering DNS addresses in Network Preferences Panel) I had no more problems with dropping/missing web sites. This did not affect wireless performance however.

Reaction score
Same Problem

I recently upgraded my Powerbook TI G4 from 10.2 to leopard and my airport signal strength went from all five bars to a steady 2, 3 if I'm lucky. It has everything to do with the new operating system because I was sitting on the couch using my computer all morning with full strength, and then I upgraded and my signal strength went down. Super bummer.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Your Old Ti Powerbook, I think that uses the older Airport card. I also on my old PowerMac G4 noticed a reduced amount of bars in the signal strength meter after 10.5. I used iStumbler though on both OS's and the actual signal seems just as strong, so what I figured was with the older Airport (Non Extreme) its just reporting it lower but the signal seems just as strong. My findings on 2 older Macs for what that is worth.

Reaction score
I am having issues with download speed since I got a new machine (Mini) that runs on Leopard. When I was on my Macbook (Tiger OS), I didn't have these issues.

Reaction score
airport extreme weak signal - firmware upgrade issue?

My chain of Airport Extremes (4) have really dropped off in performance since the latest firmware upgrade. Signal strength barely passes out beyond the room, whereas it was fine before upgrade. Anyone noticed same? Can't sync Apple tv unless in same room as main base station either. Real pain, not to mention pointless.

iPhone won't connect to network unless in same room as main base either. Do a reset (unplug) and it'll be fine for an hour then slow decline to disconnect.

Be glad to hear from others with similar issues or that have ideas on how to solve this.

Cheers

Steve

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.