Upgrading Hard Drive (HDD) in Dual G5

Reaction score
I just purchased a new 500gig HDD for my G5 and am trying to find out how to transfer all of my information from my HDD. I tried Data Rescue clone tool and it worked the problem however is that my new drive views as a 500g but says that it only has capacity of my previous drive of 160g. I have tried to change the partition size with no success. Is there a better way to do this? I would like to have one partion of 500g with all the old data from previous drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Have you tried Super Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner?
I've never cloned a disk before so I really don't know how to help you. But Super Duper and CCC are what people recommend most around here.
Personally, what I do is install fresh on a new drive because a new install is always better and transfer all my files to the new disk. You have a PowerMac and it will hold the 2 HD's just fine and because they're internal, the data transfer should be quick (unless you've totally filled the 160GB HD.) I never keep more than 40-80GB on a HD before I move stuff over so it only takes like a half hour or so.

OP
R
Reaction score
I yet to try other software hence my inquiry. I will see what I can discover with SuperDuper or Carbon copy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.