G4 Dual 2Ghz & 20" Cinema Screen

E

Edd

G5 Dual 2Ghz & 20" Cinema Screen

Hi all,

Right starting at the beggining... about 6 months ago my web designer persuaded me to switch from PC's to a MAC :D (got sick to death of windows crashingm, ect etc)

I got a PowerBook G4 1Ghz but now have ordered a G5 Dual 2Ghz, with 20" cinema screen, but aint heard anything about the screen on here yet.

If anyone has got one is there any chance to get a pic and their views in it cos I keep looking on the apple site and it looks really small compared to the 23 and 30" ones :(

Any good comments would put my mind as rest pls.

Look forward to hearing you.

Ed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
The screen itself should be the same quality as the previous models, i think they only redeisgn the case to suit the current range more and only added the firewire, usb 2.0 then changed the connection to DVI for PC compatibility. There's no Apple touch on those new displays for some reason.

I have the older model and works fine for me... although i wish i got the bigger 23" instead. Great color accurately, i tried to calibrated it once but nothing really changed, so i left it at default. Just make sure you have no dead pixels before you leave. IE, test it out in the store!!! Saves you wasting time later!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
By the way, I think you mean the G5 Dual 2GHz...because the G4s highest actual clock speed is 1.5GHz in the Powerbooks :p

just my 2 cents ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
well acutally 1.5Ghz is the fastest avilable from apple. The fastest G4 that you can just buy is DP 1.42 Ghz. That would be 2.84Ghz. This acutally out does a 1.6 G5. Hate to tell you single processor G5 users this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
I think i already said this somewhere on this forum:
Dual 1.42GHz is not single 2.84 GHz

Having a second CPU does increase the performance, but it doesn't double it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
thanks avalon. You can always learn something new everyday! How fast would it acutally be then? I mean benchmarks show that this G4 outdoes a G5. So the true clock speed is? By the way, how long do you think it might take for a G5 to come out on a PowerBook? How long did it take to get the G4 in to the portables?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the speed increase between single and dual CPU (same kind and speed) lies around 30%. It depends a lot on how good applications are programmed to use both CPUs effectively, which means that each CPU works at a different task simultaneously.
The speed increase of a dual G5 comparde to a single G5 is more significant, because each processor can access it's own part of the RAM. Dual G4 share the same RAM for both CPUs.
Concerning the G5 for Powerbooks, that's difficult to say...personnally, I don't think they will come before next year. The power consumption, and thus, heat dissipation is still a big issue, which makes it difficult to integrate it in a laptop.
You can see it on the new Dual 2.5GHz G5...it's liquid cooled! Mainly because a conventionnal cooling system with fans would surely be way too loud, because of the ammount of heat.
Anyway, Powerbooks G5 will surely not start at 2GHz, 1.6GHz would be more realistic for the first revision.

But all of this is only my personal opinion :D

OP
E

Edd

Yeah I made mistake, change title to G5 now, just want to know if the 20" screen is good size tbh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry Edd...guess we got carried away with that CPU-talking :D

Unfortunately, I couldn't afford yet to buy an Apple display, but I played around a little with a 20" connected to a G5 and a 20" iMac...
For me, this would be the perfect size. It's quite big enough. Yes, it seems to be small compared to the 23" and the 30" screens on Apple's site, but did you ever see a screen that size in real? I didn't see the 302 Apple screen yet, but I saw 30" and 32" TFT-televisions...
It's a good size for movie watching, without a doubt, but it takes A LOT space on your desk!
Allthough I read somewhere that the 23" screen has a better image quality. But still, it's not small...

OP
L

llaamaboy

Edd said:
Hi all,

Right starting at the beggining... about 6 months ago my web designer persuaded me to switch from PC's to a MAC :D (got sick to death of windows crashingm, ect etc)

Any good comments would put my mind as rest pls.

Look forward to hearing you.

Ed

coming in a tad late, but fear tho not ... the 20" is great. I am typing on one right now with a 17 viewsonic Pro screen running on a P4 XP 18 inches to the left. The clone display is almost laughable compared to the Apple screen.
:D
Sit back and enjoy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
In terms of size and resolution, it really depends on what your doing. If you want to work on DPS then 23" would be better since your able to see the full page and application pallets to the left or right. On a 20", you can display the whole DPS, but if you don't mind your application pallets floating on your work then go with the 20" On some applications such as Director MX and Flash MX, they have too may pallets. Also, the old 23" was a High Definition video display.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.