PC to Mac vice versa wireless networking

Reaction score
Is it possible to make a simple wireless network to send and receive files from PC to Mac or vice versa. I've been trying to do it but it doesn't seem to work.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Apparrently it is, but like you I havent cracked it yet either

OP
B
Reaction score
I really hope someone will figure this one out. Theres gotta be an easier way then firewire or ethernet.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
So are you saying you CAN network the two using ethernet - if so then it should also work via wifi

My problem is different i cant network both platforms either via ethernet cable and a router or through the router via wifi

OP
B
Reaction score
Works for me through ethernet, I'm just **** lazy. For PC I made a network in network places if I remembered correctly and enable file and printer sharing. It should show up on your Mac network afterwards. This is for Tiger, I haven't tried it in Leopard yet. Make sure your internet is off when you have file and printer sharing settings on.

Reaction score
there is a way to do it! I learned recently on the internet. ok first go on your mac click on system preferences than sharing make sure you have windows sharing ON click on windows sharing and at the bottom it should say

"windows users can access you computer at //exa.mpl.e**/yourusernamehere
than go onto your pc and select run and in the tab write down ^^ that and you can get your mac files on your pc. Hope that helps if you have any more problems just PM me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1.3 powerbook, OSx 10.4
I have this running via my router but can't remember how I configured it now. The Mac is hard wired into the router through Ethernet since its wifi is down.

Yes, you need the windows sharing and also probably the workgroup synched to be the same.

Then I just browse from my PC to my network places and voilà - the mac's there.

From Mac to PC I think I have to 'connect to server' from Finder (apple-k I seem to remember) and browse for the shared drive on the PC

OP
B
Reaction score
Alright alright I got figured it out. Yay for me, but anyway heres what I did.

On mac: System preferences > Sharing > File Sharing > Options > Share files and folders using FTP > Check account > Enter PW

Then on PC: Add network place > Enter the ftp address that shows on your mac > Enter User name and PW thats for your mac > Double click > Enjoy!

I'm so glad this worked for me, no more wires! Hope this works for you guys also.

*BTW my file and printer sharing is off for my pc because I've heard it makes you susceptible to viruses if your internet is on*

OP
B
Reaction score
The only other problem is I don't see my PC on my mac but I'm able to do wireless transfers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.6GHz i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD OSX Yosemite
Where do I go on my mac to see other computers on my network?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.