Good (Free) FTP Program

Reaction score
SmartFTP is a good free FTP program. I am not sure what the license is for it though (meaning if you want to use it for a company, you may have to pay!)

Jj

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
I second the cyberduck suggestion, its a great bit of software :)

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
While think Transmit is the best, Cyberduck is a good free alternative.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
I'm currently developing one for myself in Java, if i get it finished anytime soon I'll let you have a copy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
...and don't forget the humble "ftp" command line command, available via Terminal.app. If you have any familiarity with the Linux or unix command line ftp commands, you will be right at home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display
Cyberduck for me too, it's a great little tool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is also worth mentioning that several file managers have a built in FTP client mode, where they in essence log in to an FTP site and present the contents as if it were a Finder window, allowing all the usual operations.

My favorite of this type is Disk Order (http://www.likemac.ru/english), which I use almost exclusively as my FTP client these days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
I use CyberDuck. Transmit and Fetch are pretty great.

Reaction score
All of the software you mentioned is great, but what I plan on using when I get my Mac is this new FTP application being developed called Flow. I've watched screencasts and have been following the application since it was first announced, and it looks very promising.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Flow DOES look interesting. Is it going to be freeware or expensive-ware?

Reaction score
I don't know whether you would categorize Flow as freeware or "expensive-ware," but on the Support page, it reads:

Question: How much will Flow cost when it's available?
Answer: We haven't engraved this in stone quite yet, but we're looking at between $25 and $35 USD.

From what I can see, it will be money well spent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would rather buy Transmit. Panic is a great company, makes great software and it's won all sorts of awards. And it's about the same price...

http://www.panic.com/transmit/

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would rather by Transmit. Panic is a great company, makes great software and it's won all sorts of awards. And it's about the same price...

http://www.panic.com/transmit/

My all time favorite also. Best FTP program I have used on any platform to date. Worth the small amount I paid for it.

Reaction score
Your quite correct schweb, Transmit is a great piece of software. However, it has a few obvious flaws and has a much less robust editor than what is promised and so far shown in the many screencasts that extendmac has released for flow.

I'm not sure if it still exists, but a while back there was a video of a side by side comparison of Flow and Transmit, and Flow won in upload speed by a long shot. The way he spoke about things he admitted he had somewhat of an advantage because it wasn't finished yet and he was very quick to say that the results may change.

He also points out a few features that Flow has that Transmit does not. I'm not trying to advertise and I am not affiliated with Flow in any way, but I have a feeling Flow will be a much more superior FTP program than Transmit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Who is the developer of Flow an what is your connection to him?

I think full disclosure is in order here Brendan...we know more than you think. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.