Suggestions for Windows Manager or Desktop Environment (Transparent windows)

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a MacBook Pro (Intel) OSX 10.4.10 developer tools/x11/fink installed. I will be using x11 extensively and I wanted to set up a nice customizeable (well documented) environment. In particular I want window transparency. I also prefer to run in rootless mode.

I have installed and tried the following via Fink:
Enlightenment 16.5
KDE 3.5

I have also installed via Fink:
aterm
Eterm (unstable package)

So far I haven't been able to get window transparency and haven't found a look I like yet. Enlightenment is okay but honestly, by running Eterm in rootless mode I don't see a point in using it since the only extra (compared to quartz-wm) it adds are the pager, which is alittle buggy anyways. I like KDE but it takes along time to startup and doesn't look so great with OSX in rootless mode. Or atleast I don't know how to configure it properly, I couldn't find away of adding themes. Anyways, I am open to any suggests and also would like to know how to get transparent X11 windows. I have attached a copy of my .xintrc file as it stands.

ALSO, I was wondering how to change the default Eterm window so that when I open a new X11 window in X11 it has the look I want. Thanks alot and I hope there are some ideas out there.

Cheers,
ScKaSx

View attachment xinitrc.txt

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.