New iMac Wireless Connection is Extremely Slow

Reaction score
Hey guys...finally got this page to load.

I feel like I'm on dialup right now. My new iMac is extremely fast in and of itself, but when I go to webpages, it takes way longer to load than I'm used to on my 4 year old Dell...I feel like I'm back on my 10 year old IBM with dial up again.

I'm downloading software updates, and I have 13 of them to go. I'm still on the first update, which is taking 25 minutes to download and is only 32.4 MB in size. What's up here?

I use a Belkin N1 Wireless router, and it's not very far away. My laptop, Wii, XBOX360 and other wireless devices run perfectly fine (and exceptionally) from this distance. Why's my iMac's connection so slow? Is it Airport, my router, or what?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 2.8ghz
It's not your iMac. Go to System Preferences and click on Network. Make sure you have it set up correctly. If you are using any browser other than Safari, junk it and start using Safari. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
in fact this last reply is entirely incorrect. this is a DNS issue and you should look in Network Preferences, go to the Advanced tab and then the DNS tab. what address is it using?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Agree with fearant. It sure sounds like it's a problem with DNS. Make sure you're using the correct DNS address for primary and secondary as given by your ISP. The settings in your router are probably OK since your laptop has no problem. It may be the DNS settings in your Airport preferences that have to be changed. And while you're there, make sure you have DHCP selected.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1TB 7200 RPM HDD
I was having this problem. Thought it was the router. Moved the new iMac around to face in the direction of the router. Speed jumped from 2 Megs to 18 Megs. So it would seem that the apple logo on the back needs to face (literally) in the direction of the router. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your router probably needs to be higher. I have mine sitting on a tall bookcase in my home office and have no problem broadcasting a strong signal anywhere in the house and even to the back yard.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1TB 7200 RPM HDD
Your router probably needs to be higher. I have mine sitting on a tall bookcase in my home office and have no problem broadcasting a strong signal anywhere in the house and even to the back yard.

Regards.

You're probably right. PS3 was suffering the same fate in the same room. I'm going to do a long-overdue relocation at the weekend, moving it to a more central location in the house.

I've got third-party VoIP attached to the Cable modem, and the phone needs moving at the same time.

So three problems fixed at once. It's just complicated things whilst moving from PC to Mac after 12 years.:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.