Is this RAM usage normal?

H

hollerz1

Atttached is a screenshot of my Activity Monitor, showing the RAM usage, and looks how it does all of the time.

The only programs i have open are Finder, Safari, Mail, iTunes (playing music), MSN Messenger and Activity Monitor. So this should not be leaving me with only about 30MB free out of 1GB!

Is this normal or is there something not right with Panther?

Specs are:

PowerBook G4 1.25 15" Superdrive
OS X 10.3.5
1GB RAM

I dunno if this makes a difference but I also have an Aiport Extreme Network, FireWire HD and iPod attached.

View attachment system-memory.pdf

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Hmm....I'm pretty sure that just running those apps would leave you with much more than 30 MB free...but what I find interesting is that 730 MB is inactive.....Comments?

OP
H

hollerz1

ApplejustWorks said:
Hmm....I'm pretty sure that just running those apps would leave you with much more than 30 MB free...but what I find interesting is that 730 MB is inactive.....Comments?

Yeah, and that screenshot was taken pretty much straight after a restart. The computer is fast enough, but maybe it could be faster!

OP
M

MoltenLava

Activity Monitor also tells you how much each processes consume. Add them up and see if the numbers make sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Hmm i was gonna say restart. The more time my computer runs the more memory i have inactive.

My system has been on for 20 hours with Safari, iChat, System Update, Entourage and iTunes running and I have 504mb free right now.

I used to have some big time inactive problems and I found it linked to have VLC installed on my system for some reason. I wiped everything VLC out and found memory to be freed up greatly

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.