Differentiating between compressed/uncompressed dmg's

F

flonejek

umm does anyone know a fast way of doing this?, my 60 gig drive is filling up and I was wondering if I could compress some dmg's to save space, but I don't know how to check which ones are already compressed :confused:

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Yes you can compress dmg images. Most compression programs will place a new extension on the newly compressed file.

OP
I

Icarus

Will compression hurt the file at all? If not, why don't applications install themselves as compressed?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Compression should not hurt the file. If it is an application, you will not be able to use it until you uncompress it.

OP
F

flonejek

I was thinking more along the lines of using disk utility to convert a normal one to a compressed one, then there's no need for any extra software to extract it, panther just mounts it. My problem was telling the difference between a compressed one and a non-compressed one (both with extension .dmg) as I have quite a few cd game images and I can't remember when I started compressing them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.