Controlling PC with iMac over network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac Intel
I want to set up a PC to act as a web server, but do not have the room for another monitor, so I'd have to be able to use my iMac as a monitor. I was thinking I could use a remote desktop client to control the PC over my network, but Apple's is terribly pricey. Is there some sort of freeware alternative to this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Just to let you know if both are using leopard and that is all you want to do is control screens that is now built into the OS, so there is only a need to buy apple remote desktop is you are a more advanced user. Although I know I just added that information for other people that has nothing to do with your question because you want to control a PC not another mac.

The answer to your question is Yes, there is a freeware alternative. There are so many VNC clients and servers out there you just have to find one that you most feel comfortable with. For the Mac I use Chicken Of The VNC, and for the PC, i'd use realVNC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" C2D 2gRam, 8g iPhone
chicken of the vnc here:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.