What to buy for my music setup? (Quick one)

Reaction score
I've saved up enough to switch to mac. I'll be using it to go online for certain things, running my dj software (Serato), and running my music software (Ableton, FL Studio, Reason, Native Instruments, etc.) I'll probably run the production stuff on a windows partition, and then run serato and go online with the osx partition. Should I get...

1. Macbook - 2.2 ghz, 250 gb 5400 rpm, 2 gig ram, extra 20" widescreen monitor.

2. Macbook Pro - 2.2 ghz, 200 gb 7200 rpm, 2 gig ram, no extra monitor.

Obviously the first choice seems better since i'd have a bigger screen for producing and a smaller laptop to lug around for shows, but can the Macbooks handle running tons of effects, plug-ins, or djing with serato for hours on end with no break? Would I need the 7200 rpm or do 5400 rpm drives handle it coupled with a duo core? And are there any other perks of having a macbook, besides that the get less hot than macbook pros...and i hear the wireless is better though thats probably debatable.

Reaction score
Personally I just bought a Macbook Pro 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM today. I will primarily be using it for Audio Work, but will also be using it for a lot of other things too, (such as the new Eve Online mac client) so I need the better Graphics.

However, if this is for audio alone, I would honestly say that the Macbook 2.2GHz/external monitor would be the better choice because there is no better performance in the macbook pro for audio. As you say yourself the extra widescreen display gives you a lot of extra space for working (I personally have an external 15" display), which is very handy.

The faster HDD speed would not make a noticeable difference.

I'd save some money and go for the macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Hey there (And hello there John from ARU ;) )

I use my first generation macbook for running logic, and with a 32 track project with a fair few plugins running, it hasnt had an issue yet :D

Also, ive done some DJ sets before and i always found theres nothing more annoying then lugging gear about, so a nice small macbook for the sets would be perfect! (And also cheaper giving you an excuse to get more toys :p)

~~ TS ~~

OP
J
Reaction score
I use my first generation macbook for running logic, and with a 32 track project with a fair few plugins running, it hasnt had an issue yet :D

Sweet, that's what I wanted to hear. I'll prolly be picking up the Macbook and a big monitor.....now I just gotta figure out which color :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
Sweet, that's what I wanted to hear. I'll prolly be picking up the Macbook and a big monitor.....now I just gotta figure out which color :Smirk:

my vote is for white...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
my vote is for black, too many white ones out there.. that and the ibooks are white too. I just feel like white has been over done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" C2D 2gRam, 8g iPhone
i got a lowest end macbook with 2 g ram for serato. its 100 percent solid. i got an elevator too, for a stand. i use a LaCie external hard drive for my 160 gigs of music and never a hickup. Now it is time for Serato Midi.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.