Airport Express & non-Apple Wireless Network

S

SusVanA

All,

I haven't been able to figure out if there is a way to do this or not, and I thought I'd turn to a more experienced group. I just got an Airport Express. I'd like to use it to expand my current wireless network, but my "base station" is a Netgear (long story). I know that the Express can expand an Airport Extreme network, and that other base stations like my Netgear are not supported. Anyone know if there is a workaround for this? I could run a LAN cable to my living room & create a separate network, but my house is not that big, and I don't want to constantly be switching networks when I change locations or if I want to stream to my stereo. I tried adding the Extreme to my Netgear and nada. Looking for programs, hacks, thoughts and ideas. I do have an Extreme I can use, but it's in use at work. Big hassle to switch it out. Thanks in advance. :confused:

OP
R

Ryanstech

You can set up the airport express to function on it's own wireless network, but to extend an existing network you will need an airport.

OP
T

tj6106

can you only connect to airport wireless networks or can you connect to other networks. I have a Belkin wireless network router connected to my broadband connection, would i be able to connect to this with an ibook??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
tj6106 said:
can you only connect to airport wireless networks or can you connect to other networks. I have a Belkin wireless network router connected to my broadband connection, would i be able to connect to this with an ibook??

Yes. I use a d-link router with my iBook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.