mail authentication and PW.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" white macbook. 2 GHz Core 2 Duo. 160GB. 2GB memory, and giving leapord a second chance.
mail_jump.png

mail.png

after the 10.5 upgrade, mail keeps asking for this password, and even after i click the keychain button, it still comes back.

any ideas?

OP
built b16a
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" white macbook. 2 GHz Core 2 Duo. 160GB. 2GB memory, and giving leapord a second chance.
ive also deleted alot of my keychain passwords i had stored, and got no results.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
Have you tried just going into your Mail Preferences and retyping your password in the appropriate field?

Picture10.png

Reaction score
I have encountered this several times and it's a monumental PITA ....

That error message is saying there's a problem either at the server end of things, or some discrepancy relating to your account details ... well, they're a starting point and I'm hoping that this is easily fixed otherwise we'll need to look elsewhere for the cause ...

You'll have to check in Prefs ~> Accounts to ensure all the Server info is correct and while you're there just check all the details and remove and re-enter the info. Sometimes, that's all that's needed.

You'll notice the little check box under the text field:

picture_3-20071106-085737.jpg

Personally, I like to enable this as it suits me to not be prompted for my password each and every time I get a new email .... whether or not you enable this option should depend on how sensitive your mail is as enabling this lets anyone view your new mail if you're not at your mac.

D R

Reaction score
Yup, having this problem as well. What's frustrating is that it works for awhile and then stops. Tried repairing the keychain, but no luck.

I'm in awe that something so simple isn't working. Never had this problem before, but found other posts where it's been an issue in the past.

OP
built b16a
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah, ive hit the keychain button every time, entered my PW numerous times.. and im not sure if its a leopard thing. it worked great on tiger.

i dont' know if i can go into the keychain and add a password for mail? cuz everytime i look in keychain, there isn't a mail password present. where else should i look?

under what tab in keychain are your guys's mail PW's?

D R

Reaction score
Anyone find out solid answers to this? It's getting pretty tiring having to enter my password at random intervals.

I had no issues in tiger as well. I'm seriously considering a clean install again if there is no known solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Have you try repairing your keychain?

'Keychain> Keychain Access> Keychain First Aid'

D R

Reaction score
Yup, I did. Tried removing the passwords from the keychain and then adding them again when mail prompts me for a password. No luck there either.

OP
built b16a
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup, I did. Tried removing the passwords from the keychain and then adding them again when mail prompts me for a password. No luck there either.

yup.. im thinking about a clean install myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
Found this in another forum. Maybe it can help.
Picture9-1.png

Not sure if you've already tried all of this, but just in case.

D R

Reaction score
I've given that a try, so we shall see what happens. Thank you for the tip.

OP
built b16a
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i also reset my keychain, so we'll see, i'll report my progress in a few days. so far, looks promising.

D R

Reaction score
No luck for me. Let it run overnight, but this morning I had a new password prompt to check mail. It's the only password in my keychain right now.

Bummer.

OP
built b16a
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, so its back again for good.

so im really just trying to find a way to fix this, since its my only issue with leopard. other than that, i have no other choice to try a clean install.

anyways, this might be unrelated, but i found a difference in my main mail account, and the standard guest account i created. (guest account works).

"get mail" button is moved, "trash", "junk", and "on my mac" tabs arn't avail on the guest account. other than that, its fine. it WORKS!

my account
main_mail_box.jpg

the guest account.
guest_mail_box.jpg

i was told by someone on another forum it could be because the guest account doesnt' have admin access therefore some of the actions are not avail.

M

MacHeadCase

ok, so its back again for good.

so im really just trying to find a way to fix this, since its my only issue with leopard. other than that, i have no other choice to try a clean install.

anyways, this might be unrelated, but i found a difference in my main mail account, and the standard guest account i created. (guest account works).

"get mail" button is moved, "trash", "junk", and "on my mac" tabs arn't avail on the guest account. other than that, its fine. it WORKS!

my account

*image*

the guest account.

*image*

i was told by someone on another forum it could be because the guest account doesnt' have admin access therefore some of the actions are not avail.

While I don't have Leopard to try and duplicate this, I highly doubt the non-admin user account could be the reason.

Logically, it means a non-admin user could not view his/her emails sent to the trash, could not view or set up the built-in Junk/spam email in Mail.app, could not configure Mail.app at all basically.

Could it be that you just created the new non-admin user but did not completely set up the Mail.app (set up rules for spam or junk email) or received any emails or deleted any emails yet in that account?

OP
built b16a
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
when i setup my mail account on my admin user, i didn't have to setup my junk filters, or anything, basically all i had to do was enter my email address..(to be viewed) my incoming, and outgoing domains.. my user name, and PW.. and it was done. it downloaded all my messages, and worked.

after that, after logging in, and downloading my inbox, it still wants me to keep entering my login info. its really really irritating.

OP
built b16a
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
still looking for answers.. went back to tiger for the meantime due to this very annoying issue.

any one else have this leopard issue?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The only time I have had your issue (and this was in Panther, Tiger and Leopard's Mail) is when the mail server times out. Mail then asks for your password. Otherwise Leopard with all 5 of the email accounts I check on 5 different servers has never had one issue remembering the password.

I am not sure what is going on there with your email and mail.

If it works in Tiger it should be the same in Leopard from all I have seen here.

OP
built b16a
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my incoming server is incoming.verizon.net, and my outgoing is obviously the same.

i never have an issue sending emails.. however i can't connect using outgoing.verizon.net, i have to use outgoing.verizon.net:(myusername) and it will fly.

had i thought about this before, i would of liked to try and add that suffix to my incoming box, since i was only getting my pop up window on getting mail, or reciving new messages.

im gunna PM DR. i hope he hasn't switched back to tiger like me. last update from him was he did a clean install of leopard, and still had the same issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.