• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

When do you stop being a switcher ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I was wondering where the line is from Switcher to Mac user ?
When can you consider yourself a non switcher or will us ex-pc folk always be switchers ? any thoughts ? O:) O:)

M

MacHeadCase

Hmm. Interesting question.

For me someone that isn't considered a switcher anymore is someone that isn't trying to make his/her Mac behave like his/her WinBox anymore and accepts the Mac for what it is: a different way of doing stuff on a computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
Well said. In my opinion, it's not only about accepting the Mac for what it is. One must actually think "in Mac". This is a concept familiar to anyone who has studied a language for any length of time, even reading music. For a while, the person still thinks in his/her native tongue and then translates that into the secondary language. It's the same way with switching to an entirely new operating system. For a while, the person thinks in , say, Windows XP. They will think about what they want to do and how it is done in Windows. Then they think about what needs to be done in OS X to accomplish the same thing. Even though after a few weeks this may be a very fast process, it still occurs. After a while, possibly without the awareness of the person, they will begin to actually THINK in Mac OS X. I feel that this is when a person is no longer a switcher, but a native user of Mac OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iTouch, iPad, iPhone 3GS..waiting for iPhone5 or 6?
If you buy a Mac after being a PC owner, and use it as a Mac and not try to run it like a PC are you thus considered a Mac user and not a switcher??

LMAO

ok just having some fun..not being truly serious with my question ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
This has been a question that has troubled scientists for many a decade, but the current estimate is: 6 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 4 hours, 26 minutes, and 8 seconds, to be exact. However, there is some debate about the validity of the formula used and some important variables may have been ignored. The actual time could be slightly more or slightly less.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iTouch, iPad, iPhone 3GS..waiting for iPhone5 or 6?
ahh I knew there had to be an exact time!! ;)

OP
Kilted1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Thundermoon I like the comparison to learning a language I have lived in Scandinavia since 1985 so I understand your comment perfectly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where are you from originally?

Reaction score
Hmm. Interesting question.

For me someone that isn't considered a switcher anymore is someone that isn't trying to make his/her Mac behave like his/her WinBox anymore and accepts the Mac for what it is: a different way of doing stuff on a computer.

When does the graduation ceremony take place?? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
So what if you use both and never plan on completely ditching one platform for the other? Does that mean I'll never be a switcher?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No. You can be bilingual. Then you can be like MHC, who actually is bilingual.

OP
Kilted1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When does the graduation ceremony take place?? :D
...and do we have to roll up one trouser leg(Difficult with a kilt) and chant Ooomm! to a picture of the great God Jobs;D :D :D

Reaction score
Heres my take as a former Switcher

When you buy several Apple Retro Shirts on eBay
When you put the Apple Stickers on your car
When you start looking for the number of Mac users versus the others in a Starbucks.
When you see people at Startbucks using a Dell/Acer/HP, and you get a little itsy-bitsy feeling of superiority
When you keep going to the upper left of the screen to close an app at your Windows Desktop at work
When you go to a Best Buy or other chain, and totally ignore the PCs, Laptops and software from the others. Not ignore willfully, but they dont even register.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I do move my mouse to the bottom of my 21" monitor at work, only to have it show me the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
When you stop posting threads that start

'In Windows you can <insert Windows function here>, how do I do this on my Mac'

;D

For me, it'll be when someone releases a finance application for the Mac that isn't a complete joke. iBank 3, I'm waiting for you baby! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
When you finally realize that not every thread you start needs to go in "Switcher Hangout".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Heres my take as a former Switcher

When you buy several Apple Retro Shirts on eBay
Haven't done that yet
When you put the Apple Stickers on your car

Thought about it...haven't done it. Yet. Have one over the Dell logo on my employer issued laptop though. And on my Palm Pilot, my iPaq, and I want to get a little one to put on my LG phone, but haven't found one yet.

When you start looking for the number of Mac users versus the others in a Starbucks.

Yep. Also at our local supermarket that provides WiFi I can use while my wife shops.

When you see people at Startbucks using a Dell/Acer/HP, and you get a little itsy-bitsy feeling of superiority

Try a huge mountain of superiority, with a smug topping. I try not to let it show.

When you keep going to the upper left of the screen to close an app at your Windows Desktop at work

Or you are constantly futilely squeezing your non-MM logitech on your Windows desktop or going down to a hot corner and cursing that you can't use Exposé with it.

When you go to a Best Buy or other chain, and totally ignore the PCs, Laptops and software from the others. Not ignore willfully, but they dont even register.

Yep. Also when news of Windows bugs, features, Microsoft's shennanigans, viruses etc. comes out on some geek news site you just don't care. Don't even bother to click on the headline. You might read the comments on some story for brief amusement at their struggles and frustrations, but then you get bored with it and post something like this here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
To me... you stop being a switcher when you get used to how your Mac works and start helping other switchers with their problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.