• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

When do you stop being a switcher ??

Reaction score
Hmm. Interesting question.

For me someone that isn't considered a switcher anymore is someone that isn't trying to make his/her Mac behave like his/her WinBox anymore and accepts the Mac for what it is: a different way of doing stuff on a computer.

I guess I was no longer a switcher after the second day then. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
when you stop thinking of the diffs between mac and pc and just think mac. or when you have forgot ow to do things on a pc when people ask you what to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
when you have forgot how to do things on a pc when people ask you what to do.

Haha, I'm guilty of that. Somebody will have a problem with their Windows machine and I'll say, "Ok, first go into your control panel and uhhh.... and uhhhh... wait I've done this before. You uhhhh..... Ok go on Google and look for the solution."

Reaction score
By MacHeadCase's definition, I was no longer a switcher once I copied all of my files from my PC to my Mac! :) I do miss being able to right-click a picture and set it as a wallpaper though. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
By MacHeadCase's definition, I was no longer a switcher once I copied all of my files from my PC to my Mac! :) I do miss being able to right-click a picture and set it as a wallpaper though. :(

If you have completely switched over, then shouldn't you not be thinking about that anymore? ;D I actually forgot that you could do that in Windoze. LOL. Now that I think about it, that's actually how I used to set wallpapers in Windows. Now I just go to my desktop active screen corner and right click on the desktop.

OP
Kilted1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Think I'll consider myself a switcher for a good long while yet.

All those years of gaming and building my own systems...
The early days had to learn how to create a separate boot disk for each game.
As time went on, learned how to tweak the OS from the registry to all those pesky services MS loads at startup that most folks do not need.
Overclocking, there's another whole vein of learning which parts to use and how to tweak them once you've built that high end box.
Then, didn't have anyone else in my circle of friends that even knew what msconfig was, much less have a clue on how to search the internet to fix little problems. So, everyone and their mother (literally) has had their computer visit my house over the years.

Today, don't know if my Mac has made me lazy, or I'm just gettin' old and just don't give a hoot.
Spent a month looking for stuff to tweak on my Mac. Didn't find much.
Then went to fiddling around with Linux on numerous occasions, that was even harder than all the tweaking I had learned for Windows. The Apple line "It just works", may be stretching it a bit. But, for the most part, it pretty much does. Haven't bothered with learning my way around the system files. For what?

I do have a desktop XP machine sitting in the other room. I have to tell you it's a great system. All that tweaking and overclocking stuff, it's been done to that rig. It is anywhere from 30-75% faster at some things when doing speed tests compared to my MBP. It is also sitting there connected to a 26" monitor. The monitor is now about 7 months old - and has less than 10 hours on it. The computer - it was disconnected from the monitor 2 months ago for some testing I was running, and still hasn't been reconnected.

Some of you will remember one of my posts here from a couple of weeks after I had gotten my MBP.

While not ready to say "better", can definitely say,

I like OS X...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
bobtomay

I feel the same way, but with me it's a matter of practicality and time. Ever since I discovered I could run my 166mmx Pentium at 208mhz by overclocking the MOBO to 83mhz, I've been hooked on tweaking.

Now it's, well do I spend 4 hours stripping down my rig, or go to a museum with a my wife. By a CPU that's 3% faster, for an extra $400, or spend a weekend mountain biking?

I think having a Mac has liberated me from spending 60% of my computer time tweaking, updating and downloading, and maybe only 40% of my time being productive. Now almost all of my time on the Mac is actually using it.

I do miss that world though, so like you I have a Linux install to play with on those rainy Sundays.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
i think i stopped being a switcher when i used a windows machine, and more than once, hit F9 expecting exposé.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.