1.3 vs. 1.5, also backlit keyboard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PB 1.5, 512 ram, superdrive, one sexy computer!
Hi so I bought a dell inspiron 8600 that arrived last Monday (after much debate on whether or not to get an apple for college). Its nice but I think the apple would be better. Like the issue of the screen resolution being too high and not looking as good at lower res. Also I dont have spyware now (with mozilla) but who knows maybe I eventually will and I don't want that. So I plan on returning it to dell with no fee and getting a powerbook. I wanted to know though as I am not sure which 15 inch model I should get, the 1.33 or 1.5. I really probably won't need the dvd burner. I mean I think cds are sufficient for backups as well as using my iPod. I was going to get 256 and add 512 memory on my own. What is the difference between the 1.33 and 1.5. Is the latter really much faster? Also the main issue is the backlit keyboard. I can add this to the lower model. Is it worth the $69 it costs (edu. discount). Thanks and hope to get this soon after returning the dell this week. Unfortunately I have to order it online as opposed to apple store if I want the keyboard to be backlit but waiting isnt a problem. Then I gotta bring the notebook along with the new 4G ipod i just bought to upgrade to the apple store for them to return both and then recharge me so they are on the same receipt for that cram and jam deal (200 back). It's really stupid that apple makes you buy them together. It should just be in the time period.

BTW apple owners are much friendlier than windows owners. On this dell forum these ppl get all snappy because I don't know so much about windows as they do.

T

TylerMoney

Since you don't need the superdrive, and will be saving that money, you might as well go with the 1.5. I truley don't think you'll see an insane difference, but there is a difference there. As for the backlit keyboard...nobody really needs it..and those that say they do..you don't really. I type in darker situations all the time, and have no problems..I'm never looking at my keyboard anyways. It's just really freaking awesome, and if you have it, you can use it. I'd say it's worth the money just on the cool factor; and if you do tend to type in the dark a lot, and feel that being able to make out each individual key would be a plus, then there you have it...cool and useful.

And just to add this...you'd be fine getting the 1.33 and then you'd be saving even more money, and could justify getting the cool backlit keyboard even more so.

M

MoltenLava

You should really make up your mind and stop returning your computers. Return policy is there to protect the consumers. It's not a test drive mechanism. It's not really free either. If the return rate goes up, they have to raise the price in order to maintain the profit, then everyone loses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
Well, Im getting the 12" PB, like TylerMoney. I like it because it is small. Nice and small. It can fit in my backpack and my parents wont catch me cuz its a pound less than my current PC. I was acutally just wondering when the next revisions come out because I am getting my Mac in 8 months(school deal with parents). I remember rman giving me this link to it but i can't seem to rememeber. If anyone knows, help would be good. Personally, I would go with the 12". Small and light and still gets what I want done. What more could I ask for. I push my Centrino Processor to its limit. I mean, its gets really hot and i dont like that. So, 12" or 15 is good.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
beret9987 said:
I push my Centrino Processor to its limit. I mean, its gets really hot and i dont like that. So, 12" or 15 is good.

Its worse! Powerbooks get hotter. Especially if ur using processor intensive applications. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
Go terps! I'm gonna be a senior there this fall. Computer Science major.

Apple doesn't require the powerbook and ipod on the same receipt. The form only asks for the serial numbers and the SKU cut out from the boxes. I bought my powerbook and a few days later decided to get in on the cram and jam.

Well, I haven't gotten my rebate yet but the form only asks for the proof of purchase of each, I'm sure they can look up when they were purchased and by whom.

Regarding the backlit keyboard,there are definitely going to be times when you're computing in the dark (at least if you're in a dorm room) when your roommate is trying to sleep. Laptop keyboards are more cramped and the backlighting can be invaluable at those times, especially if you're new to the mac keyboard setup and are hunting for the apple key or maybe the proper key combinations for certain operations.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cool, gort thanks for the advice, but I looked at the cram and jam rebate form and on the back it says that they must be on the same receipt. This was after I heard a guy at the apple store saying that they could do a return on one and then recharge you. Like since I just bought an ipod they said that if I want to buy the powerbook I can get it and bring in my ipod. They will return the ipod and issue me a gift card which I can then use to pay for the ipod on thepurchase of the powerbook.

I am now thinking maybe I should get the 1.5 with dvd burner. Question about the dvd burner; can I burn movies in .wma or .avi or .mpg onto a dvdr and then watch them on any dvd player? Like I have videos of tv shows that I have downloaded and stuff. I wonder though if watching it on a tv would be any good actually because of the small size and when you enlarge it, its a little fuzzy. So maybe I shouldn't get that, but I think I am going to get the backlit keyboard. So the guy at the apple store said I can order it online and then bring both in and they can do it that way. But I want to make sure I can do that before I return the dell. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
**** it you're right. There goes my $200 back! Man, I am so pissed.....it's my fault though. I talked to one of their promotion reps and they said they would/could not change the terms and conditions of the promotion for me. I bought the powerbook and the iPod like a day apart from each other. This just seems idiotic! Of course, rules are rules and it's my fault for not reading the fine print.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah I am going to buy it now tonight as is configuration at the apple store when I bring back my ipod and they will do the whole thing where they "return it" then recharge me for it so it is on the same receipt. Otherwise I wouldn't buy the powerbook. It is a stupid rule. I was trying to work this all out today. I saw the number online for apples corporate offices and asked to speak to an executive and I spoke to one of their secretary type ppl. She was like well its a rebate so it must be on the same receipt. That doesn't make any sense if the point it to try and get people who were going to buy an ipod to buy a notebook. Try writing or contacting Steve Jobs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.