Please help me enable PHP on my Tiger!

Reaction score
English expat in Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hi people, Im new to this forum and I am here because Im stuck and need help!!

I am programming novice, but Ive got an idea for a website, so Ive bought a book to help me learn to execute my website idea.

Im trying to enable PHP on my Mac Tiger but I dont know how to get it going. Im using a book called Learning PHP and MySQL, by Michele E. Davis and Jon A. Phillips (O'Reilly) to do this. I want to uncomment 2 lines of code using the search and replace code that Ive been given in the book. The last bit of the code to type into Terminal is <escape>:wq. After that Im trying to navigate to the URL http://localhost/~bilalbham/test.php (at least I think that is my username! Ive tried to check it using the book but Im unsure, can anyone help?) but I get a 404 Not Found page. How do I overcome this problem please? Ive not saved what Ive done on the Terminal page, its just there in the background and Ive also enabled and restarted the Personal Web Sharing (Apache).

Your help would be very much appreciated!! Thank you,

Bilal.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Download and install MAMP it will configure PHP and MySQL for you

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And as an FYI: double posting is frowned upon here. And it is not needed. The ones that can help will see your thread.

OP
S
Reaction score
English expat in Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Thank you Del. Im at work so cant connect my mac up to the internet, so I will download MAMP when Im home.

Why do I get the 404 message? Im using Terminal, as the book says, and I type in everything and I think Im doing what its saying but Im not successful! Im trying to give it one last try whilst Im at work!

And bobtomay, I do appologise for offending anybody, I thought Id posted in the wrong place the first time, my bad.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not a prob, just a friendly heads up..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.