Dashboard not working after Leopard install

Reaction score
I have a 1.67 1GB 15" PowerBook G4 that I recently upgraded to Leopard. Everything has been working well and so far I like Leopard....but my Dashboard has stopped working.

The Dashboard worked fine at first, then a couple days ago I went to use my widgets and the screen just darkened and nothing came up. This happens if I click the icon or go to use corners(I have Dashboard set to top right). I tried adding widgets by dragging then from the Dashboard menu but the widget just disappears and nothing happens.

I first noticed this problem just after I added another user account to my Mac. I don't see why this would effect it but the last time they worked was just before I added the account(which I have since removed).

Anyone else have any problems like this? A search turned up nothing...

OP
C
Reaction score
Bueller?

No one else is having this problem?

What do you think of me removing Dashboard completely and readding it from a friends MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Sorry, seems to be a isolated bug? Try an archive and install...

OP
C
Reaction score
Sounds like it huh?

How would I go about this?

Archive and install as in the entire OS?

NM, I know what you mean. I'd rather not do that, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

OP
C
Reaction score
Removed Dashboard and readded, didn't work. Then found that the widgets folder was in the wrong spot so I copied it to the right location and still no dice. I could see they were in the wrong location after looking at a friend's Mac.

I guess I can try the archive and install.

Reaction score
Hey, I am having the same problem! I click the dashboard icon and the screen goes dim, but no widgets show up. I installed leopard and am pretty sure that they were working fine right after. But then I installed another user account as well! I didn't think there was a connection, but now that you mention it, that might be when it stopped working. But sorry, I have no idea how to fix it.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hmm, I can't verify that the user account killed them, but the last time they worked was just before I did this. Someone else want to try it to see if this is the cause? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hmm, I assume you've repaired permissions etc?

Reaction score
Hello,

I am having the same problem with Dasboard; in Leopard.

I installed Leopard on release day and have not had any problems until Thursday November 9th.

Starting on the 8th, none of the widgets work in Dashboard.

The screens darkens as normal but none of the widgets appear. The widgets dock is available, but clicking on a widget or dragging causes the Dashboard to quit, and the desktop is back as normal.

I read the above hint about the System log, and I would like to post that information to receive help, but I don't know how to do this.

Thank you for any assistance,

Michael

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm glad others are having a problem, now I know its not just me and most likely Leopard's fault...

I repaired permissions and it seemed to have repaired a bunch of folder permissions having to do with Dashboard so I got excited, but it still didn't work.

I removed Dashboard and my Widgets folder then copied them from another Mac, but no dice.

Reaction score
I have the same problem.

Dashboard worked initially, I added a new user account, then it didn't work.
It just brings up a grey screen. You can add new widgets, but they never get displayed.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Well, instead of spending all this time messing with it, creating duplicate accounts and re-posting under different names, you could have done the archive and install as suggested above, multiple times by now.

OP
C
Reaction score
Well, instead of spending all this time messing with it, creating duplicate accounts and re-posting under different names, you could have done the archive and install as suggested above, multiple times by now.

Are you freaking kidding me? I have only one SN, these other people are for real. Good god.

I'm hoping Apple will have an update with the fix. I may try the Archive and Install, I'm just thinking the problem won't be fixed or it will come back. Plus, I went in on it with some other people so I don't have the disc readily available to me.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Plus, I went in on it with some other people so I don't have the disc readily available to me.

So, you don't really have a legal copy of Leopard.

Maybe it is just karma.

OP
C
Reaction score
I do actually. 4 or 5 of us at work split the cost of Leopard. There are no licenses with Leopard, however the box says "Up to 5 computers" from one disc. While I don't have disc in my possession, my copy is indeed perfectly legal.

Thanks for your input though, I'll give Karma a call and see if she'll give my widgets back.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not to contridict anyone, here is the Family Pack License Aggrement straight from Apple......

"Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that same household. By "household" we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home or condominium, but shall also extend to student members who are primary residents of that household but residing at a separate on-campus location. This license does not extend to business or commercial users."

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=MA454Z/A#overview

OP
C
Reaction score
OK fine, looks like mine is technically illegal since we do not live in the same household. I am almost willing to bet that Apple doesn't care though since they removed the keys, and I did not illegally download it.

I guess I'll get ahold of the CD and try archive and install. I was hoping for a Leopard update. I do find it odd that there has not been one whatsoever, even for minor bugs or something. Hmm.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.