MACPRO 8-Core, 9GB Ram, iPhoto 08 ver 7.1 SLOOOOOW at open

Reaction score
I have...
Leopard, 8 core (24Ghz), 9GB Ram, Couple Terra bytes of hard drive space, latest iPhoto 08 7.1

When opening iPhoto it takes NO LESS than 2.5 to 3 minutes to open, when finally open then it works FINE! No lag while open, every thing is fine. I only have about 12,000 photos. My mother has iMac with only 2 GB ram has about 1000 MORE photos than mine, and using same version of iPhoto with leopard also only takes about 20 to 30 seconds to open. Can anyone provide any information as to WHY?

There is only ONE difference I know of, I have about 30 to 40 videos from my camcorder, all only about 2 to 5 minutes in length, in iPhoto. My mother has only a couple.

Thanks for any help!
-Robert

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
are they the same pictures, or are yours high end dslr photos and hers are low mega pixels?

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Have you thought about increasing your RAM? :p

seriously though, try searching the forum - I seem to recall a discussion or two recently about iPhoto choking on loadup (rebuilding the library was in order?)

OP
D
Reaction score
are they the same pictures, or are yours high end dslr photos and hers are low mega pixels?

Well my photos might have a little bit better quality, like maybe 3.2 mega Pixel compared to a lot of hers having only 2 Mega Pixel. Just recently I have been importing 4 Mega Pixel, but only have about 1000 of my 12000 that are 4MP. I could understand a bit longer on start up. Like maybe even DOUBLE the time, but my moms opens up in about 20 seconds and I just timed mine at 2 Minutes and 15 seconds, and remember she has about a thousand more photos than I also! To me that seems ridiculous, and the crazy thing is my activity monitor on my cores are not doing ANYTHING, until 5 seconds before iPhoto decides to become fully accessible, then the activity monitor for my CPU cores has one processor that SPIKES to show full usage, and then iPhoto becomes fully functional. It is like the system is just waiting for something for about 2 minutes, then decides to use the core to open the program completely. I noticed my mothers iMac utilized both of her two cores to open the program. I don't notice that with mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66, ATI 1900, 5 GB RAM, 750 GB Storage
It sounds like what the above poster mentioned with rebuilding the iPhoto libraries. It would appear that it is searching for all the photos or is not sure then it finds everything and peaks to open fast. Some reorganization may fix it.

OP
D
Reaction score
It sounds like what the above poster mentioned with rebuilding the iPhoto libraries. It would appear that it is searching for all the photos or is not sure then it finds everything and peaks to open fast. Some reorganization may fix it.

How do I rebuild the library? When I searched for this, I couldn't find anything except that you were supposed to hold down Control Key AND the command (apple) key at the same time you open iPhoto? It didn't seem like that did anything. Is that what rebuilds the library?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66, ATI 1900, 5 GB RAM, 750 GB Storage
The Control and Command key allows you to redirect where the library is located. So if you move your library to an external hard drive for example you can tell iPhoto that is where it is located. The rebuild is done by holding down command and option right after clicking the iPhoto icon in the dock. This will ask you about rebuilding the iPhoto library or caches.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.