which to buy: best Macbook or best Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
Money here isn't an issue. I just want to hear your opinions on the big difference between a fully loaded Macbook and the top-of-the-line Macbook Pro.

Obviously the Pro is the better machine overall, but I like the smaller size of the Macbook. Also, I've had a Pro before, and the aluminum case was pretty flimsy. I've heard the Macbook's case was sturdier. I've also heard that the Macbook might get better wireless reception because it doesn't have to deal with the interference of an aluminum case, and I do use my computer all the time all over the place, so this is important.

Then again, application load times are important to me. I like things to open immediately, and I hate it when my computer has to take forever bringing something up. Also, I'm a little interested in video editing, and although I haven't graduated from iMovie to Final Cut Pro, I've heard that the latter is infitely better on the Macbook Pro.

I don't really play video games much, but I used to play them all the time, and I guess there's some slim chance that I might play one in the future.

The backlit keyboard on the Macbook isn't an issue for me at all.

Another thing: I don't like the hook latches on the Pro. On my old Pro, one of the hook springs dislodged itself. I like the simplicity of the Macbook's magnetic clasp.

But the POWER of the Pro is so sexy.

I do hope to run Vista on either machine.

I use mainly email (Apple Mail), Firefox, and word processing (Word/Pages), but occasionally I use iMovie, and I live in iPhoto. Obviously, I'm in iTunes all the time, too.

Any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
What kind of video editing do you do? If you're doing home movies and the sort, a Macbook should suit you just fine. But if you're looking to expand and experiment with a program like Final Cut Studio, I highly recommend the MBP.

OP
P
Reaction score
Yeah, right now, I'm only doing home movies. The question of whether or not I'll end up trying something more intense is what has me so confused on which computer to buy.

I hate that the Pro isn't smaller.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I would go with a fully loaded 15" pro. It has all the horse power of the 17" but in a smaller package. You will need that power if you want to game at all and if you decide to get into any serious video editing. Plus the pro will last much longer without needing to be upgraded.

OP
P
Reaction score
What about wireless? Is it really that much better on the plastic Macbooks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
Many people say that aluminum interferes with wireless signal.

Well i can assure you, its a moot point in a MBP. Have you honestly seen any posts heere about people having wireless problems with their MBP's??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
If money is no issue for you then I'd suggest you get the high-end MBP with the new optional 2.6GHz processor. I own a 2.4GHz MBP and can highly recommend it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz, 2.5 GB RAM, 160GB HD, 14th October 2007
I have a 17" MBP 2.4 and I love it. I take it everywhere (train, college, plain) and there are no scratches. It runs the games I want, it even runs Crysis at 30 FPS.

I recommend this any day of the week to anyone looking for power.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You sound like a perfect candidate for the long-rumored 12" MacBook Pro. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
If you like the performance of the MacBook Pro, but you like the portability of the MacBook, then it would seem that the 15.4" 2.6 GHz would be a great way to go. Especially since, as you say, money is not an issue. Of course, if you do go that route (high performance) you should get the biggest fast HD available and max out the RAM on your own. Having Apple do the upgrade for you wastes about $600.

Reaction score
I just got the new Macbook with the upgraded processor which is now just as powerful as the base one in the macbook pro. The only difference between the two is the graphics card obviously the one in the macbook pro if better

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.