Odd and Unusual Optical Drive Problem. Help please?

Reaction score
I just purchased my Macbook Pro about 2 months ago. It's the newest model out, 15", 2.4 gHz, 2 gigs RAM. Running on OSX 10.4.10

Now, the problem. Sometimes I insert a disc into my optical drive, everythign goes ok, and than I eject it. Everything is still fine. I might put in another couple, say, if I'm burning CD's in iTunes. Everything is still fine.

Now, when I eject that 3rd or 4th disc, my drive makes a series of 3 sounds, like it's trying to find a disc, though it doesn't detect any. The 3 sounds are exactly the same. SO FORTH, after that, I try to put another disc into the drive, and it won't go in! There is something physically blocking it from entering the optical drive. I can slip it in only about an inch-and-a-half until it bumps into something that blocks it. It seems like it pops out from the right side of the drive. It's never ever there, except for this odd situation.

So, If I just restard my MBP, it'll go away, and everythign works ok. But it still keeps happening over and over again, and is honestly aggrivating, and concerns me.

...help?

thank you!

Reaction score
It's still under warranty, I would recommend bringing it in and have it looked at. You may need a new SuperDrive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
What sound does it make? Mine makes 3 loud clicks and a crunch type sound when I insert a disc and its brand new...

Is that the sound?

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
It sounds as though the drive actuator (I think that's what it's called) is going bad.

OP
D
Reaction score
The sound it makes is a succession of three tones essentially. Starts with a high tone, middle tone, and lower tone. They aren't actual soundclips, but that's just the sound it appears to make because something is moving fast (I assume) and making the frequencies.

It does that sound-thing three times.

The actuator? Hmm, thanks, I'll look into that a bit. I hope nothing is defective though!

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.