Making ringtones?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.2 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 8x Superdrive
Is there any way to make a ringtone on my mac and then send it via bluetooth to my Motorola Slvr?
Thanks if you can tell me how its done :)
~Sean, just got my macbook 2 days ago =D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" C2D 2gRam, 8g iPhone
does the slvr let you send files to it? i used to do this with my treo 650, but that is a different story. As far as editing ringtones, I would highly suggest compressing them to mp3 96kbps and putting them in mono, since the speakerphone is only one speaker. I used to take top40 songs from the radio and get a hold of the instrumental which was edited down with audacity.

OP
icywings8
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I can send files to it...So should I just limit the song to less than 30 seconds and have it at 96kbps with mono sound? And is audacity the best program for this? I think its free and all, but if it has a learning curve, I might not want it because I'm brand new to sound editing. thanks :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" C2D 2gRam, 8g iPhone
i'd go for it. pm me when you run into problems or use my email.
to put it into mono, click on the song title on the left of the track and do split stereo track. Then you will see 2 track instead of 1. THEN put them both into mono for rendering. to change the mp3 quality when rendering, go to audacity preferences/file formats and you can choose the bit rate on the bottom. Right now my ringtone is Jay-z and talib kweli-Get By. Gotta love that nina simone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Here's another vote for Audacity.

However, you really don't need to go through all the steps davidgallant mentioned if you just want to do it "quick and dirty." Just open up an MP3, pick the section you want as the ringtone, and then hit "Export Selection to MP3." That's it, you're done.

If you want to save space with smaller ringtone sizes, then you should go through the steps david pointed out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" C2D 2gRam, 8g iPhone
When I was setting my little brothers Sprint flip-phone, he was required to have the clip less than :35 and had some strange size limit. I just figured I would post all the steps to guarantee an mp3 ringtone and eliminate the stupid problem of troubleshooting.
So what was your choice for tone icywings?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Oh right, forgot normal phones have weird limits like that. My last three phones have all been smartphones, so I've gotten used to the fact that I can use any size/length MP3 as a ringtone ;P

OP
icywings8
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
haha Thanks for all of your help guys :)
I think I'm gonna make a "Holy Diver" ringtone first, as that song has been stuck in my head for some reason. Then I'll make some calmer ones...maybe from The Postal Service or something. I dunno..I'll probably make a bunch and just pick my favorites. My friend made me a Breaking Benjamin one ("Breath") which I love, but I need more to chose from.

OP
icywings8
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whoops i double posted somehow >_>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Holy Diver sounds cool.
I made some Paul Gilbert samples using Audio Hijack Pro, by playing the song I wanted to sample in VLC, and hijacking it. I just recorded the sections I wanted, and then put them on a memory card in my phone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.