installing leopard on G4 ibook

Reaction score
will the dvd drive in my G4 ibook be able to read and install leopard's dual layer dvd?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Yes. But if the iBook doesn't meet the minimum system requirements the install fail.

OP
hellfried
Reaction score
Yes. But if the iBook doesn't meet the minimum system requirements the install fail.

will this do?

1.33Ghz Power PC G4
1G DDR SDRAM

the reason i am worried is because when i inserted a friend's empty dual layer dvd+r into the optical drive it spat it right out. when i insert a regular empty cd, it actually ask me if i want to burn something onto it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Specs look good.

Drives that can't burn the media will do that. They don't recognize the blank DVD, but when there's a header on the disc all is good. If you put leopard in the drive and it mounts, that should be a good indicator. I assume you can play movies that are dual layer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
ibook

in a word yes

i've did a fresh full install of leopard and my g4 is running
beautifully, and it'll be even better as i'm upgrading the ram shortly
as its cracking along with just 512mb.

no problems except and i had to erase and install which i feel is better than
and archive and install.

regards

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
thanks for the reply. will go ahead and install when i find time!

The reason it spit out the DL Media is because the iBook 1.33Ghz's drive will not write to a blank Dual Layer DVD. If you put the Leopard DVD in it will work. Is yours the 12" 1.33Ghz iBook? If so I have that very machine with 1GB Ram also.

I just put my Leopard DVD into the iBook and held down C. Installer came right up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.