Goodbye to Leopard - downgrading back to Tiger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 1,1 / 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core Xeon / 5 GB RAM / OS 10.6
I just moved back to Tiger. It's new for me, because the first time I used Mac, it was with Leopard, but it's too much of a pain. So far, I like Tiger better.

The only feature I really miss is the Quick Look. But that's it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 - Tiger - Leopard - Tiger
Gone back to Tiger

That's it. Time Machine doesn't work with parallels on my common setup (MBP with lacie ext hdd), Mail just refused to open, photoshop has crashed, three times in two days a transparent curtain has descended and told me to reboot, screen artifacts remain after closing safari, etc. It's not worth it, yet. At least for me. I use an intel mbp 17' all day using PS and FCP, wireless (yeah, that's messed up too) and some soundtrack pro. It's just after 4am here in the mountains and I am going to spend the next four hours going back to tiger.

I agree, its not worth it - yet.

Tried the archive and install method first - When Leopard started up all I got was a blank desktop and loads of weird stuff. Went with clean install (everything backed up so no probs), booted up fine, ok! here we go! - Oh, straight into the dark curtain crash! Right, reboot, straight back to the dark curtain - great! Just kept doing this cycle. Now, I got this iMac with 10.2 installed and have done all the OS upgrades to 10.4 over a few years and never had one crash ever and now thats all my mac does :Grimmace: The 3rd install attempt seemed to work for a day or so but then I started getting the probs as mentioned by the OP.

I really wanted to use Leopard on my iMac G5 but after installing I get most of the problems that dcghile is experiencing plus my mac was running at 78 degrees c with user cpu at 100% or near to it. This was with nothing running, or nothing I was running!

So yes, after constant random crashes, mail suddenly losing all the user accounts (nice!) and the aforementioned heat issues I reverted to Tiger 10.4.11

iMacs been running for a couple of days constantly now, idles at 35 degrees, maxes out around 60, all apps work as they should. I miss Time Machine but SuperDuper! is doing fine here.

Leopard is sitting in the drawer. I will use it but not for a while yet.

Sq

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Well when you do dig it out of the drawer, how will those problems be fixed next time?

You're going to have to upgrade at sometime. And to do that in your case you're going to have to erase and install.

Sort Leopard out instead of sticking your head in the sand and sticking with Tiger.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Which iMac G5 20" is it? Old one or the 2.1Ghz with the iSight camera?

I have a 2.1Ghz 20" iMac G5 that is my main machine. I am a power user and have 15-20 things going on at the same time. I did an Archive and Install of 10.5 and have never had one issue you are having. I feel something is wrong on your machine somewhere. 10.5 will bring out issues if they are there. Not one of the 5 Macs I did an A&E on have had one issue. I am now at 10.5.2 and all is fine.

The fact you did a clean install and still had all those serious issues shows something is wrong hardware wise or some issue.

That as you call it Dark Curtain is a Kernel Panic. I have yet to have one with 10.5. Kernel Panic's usually indicate hardware issues.

Reaction score
re installing tiger

I have recently upgraded to leopard but i am purchasing pro tools in the next couple of weeks which at the moment does not work on leopard.

Do i just have to use the 2 mac os x install discs i got with my macbook to go back to tiger? Or do i have to uninstall leopard before? Would this work ?

Reaction score
Leopard (10.5.1) seemed to install OK - a few unrepairable modified Permissions.

But the 10.5.2 upgrade broke the OS, and I have not been able to boot into Leopard since. I have reverted to Tiger.

I have a new external hard drive coming today, so I shall try again to get 10.5.2 to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10
I never do an upgrade, it doesn't matter what OS i've used, there always seems to be some issues. I thought I would try it with my MBP for the heck of it and yup I was right...issues.

Did a clean install...no more issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alexis - Thanks very much for the detailed and in depth help but maybe try reading my original post? I've already tried doing a clean install. I will use Leopard but until a few upgrades are in the pipeline i'm happy enough with my head in the sand on a WORKING mac - 10.4.11 works perfectly, every app works etc. Any idea why a fresh install of 10.5 would be so different?

which brings me to dtravis7 - Interesting what you say about hardware probs, it is one of the early 1.8G G5 iMacs, about 3 years old. no built in iSight. Any idea on how i could go about testing for those? I did actually know that curtain was a KP just that I'd never seen one until Leopard. Is Leopard really that more hardware intensive? One of the main reasons for KPs I could see when I did manage to get the machine running for any length of time was idling at 78 degrees - this heat seemed to trigger the KPs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Leopard install on nor one, but two near same emac 1.25Ghz machines went flawlessly with an erase and install (upgraded from Tiger) runs extremely well and everything works.....including the airport cards to my Linksys wireless router....can't complain

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Alexis - Thanks very much for the detailed and in depth help but maybe try reading my original post? I've already tried doing a clean install. I will use Leopard but until a few upgrades are in the pipeline i'm happy enough with my head in the sand on a WORKING mac - 10.4.11 works perfectly, every app works etc. Any idea why a fresh install of 10.5 would be so different?

Just thinking of the money you've wasted on Leopard that's all. I wouldn't be happy having just thrown that money down the drain. What are you going to do when nothing new works on Tiger in a couple of years?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just thinking of the money you've wasted on Leopard that's all. I wouldn't be happy having just thrown that money down the drain. What are you going to do when nothing new works on Tiger in a couple of years?

Well, I wouldn't say it as wasted money as I want to use it sometime but what can I do at the present? My iMac hardly got past booting up with Leopard - I couldn't use it at all. At present 10.4.11 works perfectly for me.

dtravis7 said it could be hardware related which is possible. If it is, what option do I have with an iMac? Not many I'd say. Don't get me wrong I want to use Leopard but what can I do? And why are some people having troubles on their new intel macs?

In a couple of years time this iMac will be 6 years old so I reckon I'll just buy a new Mac if it gets to the stage when nothing new works;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.