Goodbye to Leopard - downgrading back to Tiger

Reaction score
Leopard is a big disappointment to me too.
I don´t like the new look of the finder, especially the 3D dock, the new Icons, all these transparencies of the menus and the far too soft shadow for the windows.
In Contextual Menu Items all my plugins gone to "more" what makes it really uncomfortable.
Too many apps and plugins doesn´t run anymore.
USB overdrive 10.4.8 doesn´t assign all my keys of my Logitech MX310 anymore and so on...

It seems to me I´ll stay with Tiger for a very long time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz 2 GB DDR2 Ram GeForce 8600M GT 128 MB 120 GB HDD
I think I might do an Archive & Install later this week because I have been having a lot of problems too. Mainly with the new dock freezing, apps freezing and sometimes it freezes when booting up. All Apple hardware and I just got the MBP a week before Leopard came out. Kinda sucks, heh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP - 24" white iMac - 16gb white iphone3G - 20gb iPod colour
Well I got leopard afew days ago and it's been fine for me until.... I decided to use bootcamp and install xp but I kept getting a disk error when booting from xp disk (worked loads before in tiger) also for some reason it will not install my HP printer software (again worked fine in tiger). I have still got leopard on my MBP but I'm gonna wait until my extreme base station arrives before I start to use it. I will try bootcamp on that and see what happens. So at the moment I have just downgraded back to tiger on my iMac for now then I released bootcamp wont work anymore ahhhh!!!!! Oh well if it works on my MBP i'll be happy and just use that for windows games. I did have some minor issues with my iDisk in leopard but nothing major. In all leopard is a great bit of software but until I can get xp on it and use my printer software I'll stick with tiger on my iMac. May just try bootcamp on my MBP now I think about it.

cheers

EDIT:

Well just tried installing windows on my MBP and I still get the same error msg (disk error). It partitions drive installs windows setup files then reboots and comes back with this aerror msg. I get the same problem on my iMac. How strange? Oh well back to tiger for me.

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" white macbook. 2 GHz Core 2 Duo. 160GB. 2GB memory, and giving leapord a second chance.
i went back also

i went back to tiger also.

i didn't use time machine, or stacks that often, the only thing i really miss (after a week) was the 4th view in finder.. the page view interface was really cool.

but my main reason was the mail client. i have verizon DSL, not sure if thats the problem, but no matter what, for the love of god, i coudln't get it to save my password. after time and time again, asking, and even clicking on the save to keychain tab, i coudln't get it to go away. i did everything, delete the account. delete all my keychains... over and over again. nothing.

so im back on tiger for a few months.. untill they make some updates.. or i hear others not having this issue anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
If you are having problems, just do a full erase and install.

If you are going back just because you don't like a few minor visual aspects of the OS then I think that's a little pinickity. You're going to need to install Leopard at some point over the next 2 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" white macbook. 2 GHz Core 2 Duo. 160GB. 2GB memory, and giving leapord a second chance.
another member on the forum here is having the same issue i have. he's also on the same ISP maybe in a different region, but still same carrier.

anyways, we both did updates.. and since then, he's done a full clean install, and the problem still persists. its not worth the jumping icon in the dock, and constantly putting in your PW for mail downloads, for the leopard upgrade.

i agree.. sooner or later, i'll have to go back to leopard again, but hopefully in a few months, after apple creates a few updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.0 Ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD
Clean install, awesome

Reaction score
Leopard sucks! This is my first Mac. I bought my 15" MBP 2 months ago, and I loved it to death with tiger, everything ran flawlessly. The Leopard install went well and only took about 45 mins to upgrade. No I am in mac ****! The mouse is laggy sometimes, and I am not sure why. Parallels no longer works. Some reason my fans sometimes shoot up to 4500RPM for no good reason. I dont usually use this computer for anything heavy, just basics. My CS3 works fine, and same with almost all my other programs minus VLC. I just don't know why it lags all the time. My wigets take forever to pop up and at start up I have to wait an additional 15 secs for the dam blue screen. I really can't believe I order this. It feels like a down grade. I do like time machine and cover flow, but I like tiger much more. It was so smooth and fast. I am really not pleased! The weird thing is my weakling macbook is working great with Leopard. No laging issues at all. The install on that one was rough because it froze at "under one minute" for 8 hours. If apple doesn't fix this in 2 weeks I will be going back to Tiger. The computer has gone from lightning fast to something slower than vista. I am really glad I kept the mac pro on Tiger. She runs so well! (haha yes I did splurge on macs after my macbook pro. I love these computers...just hate Leopard).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Did you upgrade, or do a clean install?

Reaction score
oh ya. Front row got worse! I hope that is in the update. Front row used to be functional. I liked playing music in my iTunes then go into front row --> now playing, and just look at the album cover so I wouldn't get distracted by my other programs. Now...I just use my iPod with some speakers because it really doesnt work anymore. If you are playing something and exit out, you can't resume it later.

Sorry for the rant. I just can't believe it made my favorite computer worse. I am a student and I run two businesses in my spare time and I really don't have time to back up everything and do a clean install on my computer.

Edit: I just did an upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
If your computer is that important, and you don't have a backup, then you really shouldn't be installing a brand new OS.

Reaction score
Yeah. Regretting it now.
Hopefully over Christmas I will get a chance to move all my files/programs to my MyBook and try Leopard again. I feel like an idiot for not trying it on my macbook first before trying it on my baby. haha the box was just so shiny and the videos were just so impressive that I couldn't resist.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
The more I use Leopard, the more I like it.

Reaction score
YES!!!!!!!!

After the update no more mouse lagging!! I don't really care about Parallels anymore. I will survive without windows until I can get an update. :):) I love my pretty computer again!

EDIT: Parallels works once again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is there a way to look and see whats the latest update you've downloaded? for instance, on tiger, what was the last over the air update? 10.4.8/9?

since this is 10.5.1, being the 1st.. how can you check? assuming mine would be just 10.5._

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
is there a way to look and see whats the latest update you've downloaded? for instance, on tiger, what was the last over the air update? 10.4.8/9?

since this is 10.5.1, being the 1st.. how can you check? assuming mine would be just 10.5._
The last revision of Tiger is 10.4.11 which was released about thesame time as leopards 10.5.1. You should be able to find your current revision level, by selecting the About this Mac under the Apple drop down menu.

Reaction score
9A466 to tiger..lost tiger backup!

Hey, I installed the Leopard build 9A466 on my iMac G5 and I had the back up Tiger on my ext HD (ipod) but since then my iPod crashed and I dont have the back up... I tried running my Tiger Upgrade DVD but it said i needed 10.3 or higher! What can I do?? HELP please.

Reaction score
15"MBP came with Tiger and Leopard. Installed....Time Machine and all apps work seamlessly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Clean install here- no issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
im using leopard and like it.

im not going back

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.