Goodbye to Leopard - downgrading back to Tiger

Reaction score
What if I just want to make a copy of the Tiger OSX, not my entire hard drive (which is already backed up)? Is that possible? =/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Leopard doesn't actually have to be any different from Tiger, so there should be no reason to need to go back.

Everything works exactly as before - the dock, folders, preferences. The only real things that are different are Time Machine, Spaces, Cover Flow and Quick Look and you don't actually need to use any of them!

Reaction score
I'm just concerned about 3rd party apps screwing up... if too many of them do, I may not be able to handle it! Lol

Reaction score
What if I just want to make a copy of the Tiger OSX, not my entire hard drive (which is already backed up)? Is that possible? =/

I know you can do this with the install disc, it may need to be the retail version though ... don't know about doing it without the install discs ...

It would be worth looking at say, eBay and pricing a 'Full Retail Install of Tiger', as this is the disc you need .... but make sure you get the right version ... there's G5 iMac and Intel iMac verions of Tiger AFAIK.

The retail disc is identifiable by a black label with a white X on it. I'm not sure if you need to be careful about buying an 'Upgrade' versus a 'Bootable' set or if that even applies ... I know when I recently bought a OS 9 system disc I had to be careful not to buy the upgrade cos the HD was actually empty with nothing to upgrade from ... it's little things like this that can catch you out if you're not fully informed.

Reaction score
I'm just concerned about 3rd party apps screwing up... if too many of them do, I may not be able to handle it! Lol

You have the right attitude there p1p3r, from what I've read it's people who straight out upgrade to Leopard without first preparing their HD that *seem* to have issues (of course I may be wrong).

If and when I upgrade I will be disabling all my 3rd party apps and sys pref panes and possibly even uninstalling stuff to try to return my iMac to as close to a lean system as I possibly can ... also unplug any periphs except keyboard/mouse (lol).

That link I gave has some good tips about preparing your mac, pre- upgrade ...

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!
I'm using Carbon Copy Cloner to copy my EVERYTHING to my firewire HD, just in case. It seemed to be the best idea...
I'm still not sure if I got a Tiger disc with my MBP, it'd be at my parents' house... so I figured I'd just use CCC to protect as much stuff as possible.
Guh I'm SO excited for Leopard... Lol

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I've got some irritations, but I won't switch back. The good out weighs the bad and the ugly for me.

Any bets on a 10.5.1 release before the end of 2007 though?

I have discovered another 'bug' though and can replicate this any time. If you watch an iTunes video in full screen, and have your dock set to 'hide', after you finish the video, the dock will not reappear unless you shut down or 'kill all dock'

Anyone else notice this?

Nope, not gonna take that bet.

Cannot however, replicate your issue with the dock on my MBP. Have tried several videos now and tried different scenarios of when to try the dock after the video.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I can not duplicate it here either. iMac G5 iSight 1GB RAM 10.5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core, MacBook Air 11
Spent the day reloading tiger... ahhh I love my mac again!!!

I don't consider the $129 a waste because I'm going to use my leopard disk as a bootcamp driver disk for now and will do a clean install of leopard again later (maybe after the 10.5.1 update is released???) The experience has also helped me appreciate how good tiger really is already. The only thing I miss a little from leopard is the dock stacks and finder enhancements.

For those of you who say you've had no issues, I really hope your luck lasts but I had no issues at first either. The bugs hit me like a brick in the head out of the blue after 11 days of long and heavy daily use (it was only released 12 days ago).

Tiger rocks, I love my Mac !!!

Note to Steve: You SUCK!!!! Can't you get anything right the first time? Nice legacy, you tool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Looks like my luck has been going strong since launch :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Looks like my luck has been going strong since launch :D

Ditto here and I have had it on 24 a day. No Keychain bugs at all. No nothing so far. Just one plug in for Safari and they already have a version for Leopard, but that is NOT 10.5's fault.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Running strong for me too... 6 days....... no hiccups.... no glitches... no crashes...

Reaction score
Wow! Seems like a mixed review. Tiger hasn't let me down, so I think I may wait to pick up 10.5 until bugs have been worked out. :'(

-From past experiences, anyone have any idea how long Apple might take to release such patches?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, G4 Power Book
Know how you feel! After 6 happy years with Mac its like going back to Windows OS. Word crashes hourly, as does Mail, network printer is screwed up and our fast broadband cable connection runs like treacle! Now where did I put Tiger....?:Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Nope, not gonna take that bet.

Cannot however, replicate your issue with the dock on my MBP. Have tried several videos now and tried different scenarios of when to try the dock after the video.

I can not duplicate it here either. iMac G5 iSight 1GB RAM 10.5

I wonder if it's unique to the MacBook, or GMA950?

I just did it again... it's fine if the Dock is left or right, or not hidden. I reported it to Apple anyway.

Know how you feel! After 6 happy years with Mac its like going back to Windows OS. Word crashes hourly, as does Mail, network printer is screwed up and our fast broadband cable connection runs like treacle! Now where did I put Tiger....?:Grimmace:

6 years? So you obviously didn't upgrade to Tiger on 10.4.0 then? Now THAT was full of bugs... I guess you also didn't upgrade to Panther, with a Firewire HDD attached (where it erased any Firewire drive attached) and I'm guessing you never used 10.2.8, which was a disaster zone.

Leopard is largely regarded as the most stable x.x.0 release yet. The 10.5.1 update will be out before too long, I am sure many of these issues will be addressed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook w/ 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo 512MB memory & SuperDrive
Down Grading back to Tiger

Can you do this without having to do a fresh install?
Is it possible to do some sort of uninstall of Leopard?

I am running BootCamp on my Macbook and everything is running fine there except for accessing my External HDDs which is the problem I am having on the MAC side as well. So I am wondering if it is possible to down grade the Leopard back to Tiger and it fix the problem all together? If so how do I do it so that I don't have to do a complete fresh install of everything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
Apple had me zero out the hard drive by putting the disc in and running disc utility/erase....than instal Leopard and I have had no issues so far...but this would be a full erase and install...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
After many issues with Leopard and several erase installs....apple finally had me zero out my hard drive in disc utilities after I installed the leo disc and I have had no issues with leopard since...knock on wood...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
*knocks on wood for MACGIRL34*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.