So I wanna add cd's to my ipod...

Reaction score
I already have 2 playlists. How do I save the playlists that I made to my harddrive, btw?
Do I have to backup everything on my ipod to my harddrive?

Second, I have "manually manage music and videos" checked.
I just ripped a bunch of cd's and they all went into my iTunes library, but they didn't go into my iPod library after I hit "sync".

How do I make them go into my iPod library each time I rip one?
I thought they'd just go onto my iPod when I hit sync but they aren't.
Do I need to de-select "manually manage"?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you have manually manage checked, you've told it not to sync, that you're going to do it manually, by drag-n-drop.

OP
B
Reaction score
What I'd like to do is save my 2 playlists that I have on the iPod, and re load the cd's onto the ipod.

How do I save my playlists? I just wanna start over and then drag and drop my playlists back on and then reload the cd's.

Unless there's something better that I can do.
I don't know enough about iTunes and how it works.
It says all my stuff will be replaced by whats in the iTunes library.
But my playlists aren't in the library, are they?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't have a clue whether they're in your Library or not.

Where did these playlists come from - the same computer you are now connecting to or a different one?

Are the playlists on your ipod also on the computer you're connecting to?

Just drag-n-drop from the system to the ipod the ones you want to add....

Don't know if you can move playlists from the ipod to the computer or not, have yet to have a need to do that myself... try drag-n-drop from the ipod to the computer and see if it works.

OP
B
Reaction score
I just drag dropped a bunch of songs and created a couple of playlists out of them.
They came from the computer, yeah.

See, if my ipod gets wiped somehow when I tell it to auto sync, I don't want to lose the playlists that is on iTunes.
I just want some way to put the lists aside somewhere. Maybe I'll just have to get a cd and use that to back them up.

OP
B
Reaction score
I put my ipod on auto control tonight and sync'd a bunch of cd's to it.

But when it's on auto I can't drag and drop anymore.
I used to just drag files to my playlists and sync them no fuss no problem.
Now when my ipod is set to manual (letting me drag and drop files) I can't sync cd's.

Can't I sync cd's AND drag and drop files onto my ipod at the same time??
It doesn't seem like it should be this complicated.

*edit* There must be some check box I'm missing or something because basically, either I load/sync cd's onto my ipod or I click "manual" and enable drag and drop. I can't do both with my settings right now.
I know before I was able to create playlists (drag drop from my computer to my iTunes/ipod) and I was also able to load cd's and hit "Sync" and they'd show up on my ipod.
Now it's either/or NOT both.
Something's wrong but I don't know what.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.