Installing RAM on an iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2Ghz iMac w/ glossy screen
If i were to get a stick, which type should i get? I am looking to get it at Frys electronics. Thanks.

< i have the Aluminum/Glass iMac if it makes a difference :p

Reaction score
As long as the specs are right does the brand really matter...??? I see this ram which is a great deal for 4GB and then I see other brands (Kingston etc) for sometimes as much as $400...and forget the $800 that Apple wants...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
Just dont get it from Apple, and you couldnt go too far wrong. Personally, Kingston is the route I would go down.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2Ghz iMac w/ glossy screen
So as long as it is 200 pin DDR2 RAM? sorry, i've never handled ram.. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
First thing is to make sure you have the correct form Factor.

DIMM = Normal Large DDR2 Sticks used in PCs and Mac Pro
SODIMM = Laptop size RAM used in MB, MBP, iMac and mini

The difference lies in it's CL rating (Cas Latency) and Bus Speed. The lower the CL Rating, the faster the memory, the higher the cost. CL2 is high performance and i've seen up to CL5 for standard RAM.

Then there is the speed rating in MHz for DDR2. You can always buy faster RAM then your system will support but it will not perform at that speed, it will downclock it to what your system runs at. Your system memory runs at 667MHz. The expensive stuff sometimes is rated at 800MHz and would downclock to 667MHz making the extra money spent worthless.

Ultimatly, what you are looking for is SODIMM DDR2 667MHz (PC2-5300). Compare prices on different sticks and get the ones that are the lowest CL rating for the ammount of money you are willing to part with.

-MikeM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Aluminum iMac - 2.4GHz C2D - 4GB RAM - 320GB HD
Particular RAM problems?

I've done many RAM installs on PC's, this will be my first one for Mac. I'll be installing 4 Gigs into my 24" iMac. Are there any problems exclusive to Mac RAM installs, or is it as easy or easier than on a PC?

Thanks,
vms21

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
Its easier. I assume you have an aluminum iMac. Just follow the instructions in your owners manual. Its a pretty tight fit so make sure its in there good but be careful not to slip and break something. There is no "click" or anything to let you know its in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, that "click" is one of the things I was wondering about. I installed RAM in my dad's PC and even with the click, I had to put in in several times before the machine recognized it.
I hear that I have to be careful not to strip the small screws that hold the panel in, has this been an issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
if you use the wrong size screw driver it is. Dont force the wrong tool to do the job, you may regret it later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got it, put it in, works great!

I purchased 4 GB of Crucial RAM from Buy.com (got a great price). Took a total of 10 minutes from the time I shut down my Mac to the time I turned it back on. Thanks for all the help.

vms21

Reaction score
Thanks, that "click" is one of the things I was wondering about. I installed RAM in my dad's PC and even with the click, I had to put in in several times before the machine recognized it.
I hear that I have to be careful not to strip the small screws that hold the panel in, has this been an issue?

I used a tiny screwdriver to remove the screw but on refitting the screw I found that the threads were already stripped. The screw is just sitting in the hole now and acts as a very loose fastener.:Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I actually used a "regular" size screwdriver, but I made sure it fit the screw snug. I had about a dozen screwdrivers ready to go I was so concerned about not stripping that darn screw. I also had some trouble getting the grill off after getting the screw loose, I used one of those expanding grabber tools to help take it off.

Reaction score
I actually used a "regular" size screwdriver, but I made sure it fit the screw snug. I had about a dozen screwdrivers ready to go I was so concerned about not stripping that darn screw. I also had some trouble getting the grill off after getting the screw loose, I used one of those expanding grabber tools to help take it off.

Yes! The grill is not easily removed and the single screw is too small for the job and is easily stripped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 2.4ghz, 2GB/320GB
I have a magnetic screwdriver, so no grabbing required! ;) Be very gentle!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.