Locking files

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently switched from writing my diary with a pen & notebook to writing it on my macbook!
Does anyone know if there is a way to lock an individual folder (containing my diary entries in text edit files) so that a password is required to access it?
The macbook is a family computer and we don't have individual log-ins, so at the moment anyone can look at anything. I don't really want to have to have seperate log-ins, so is it possible just to lock one file?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
You can't lock the files, but you can put it in a encrypted disk image which will require to put in a password to view to contents of that disk image.

Open up Disk utility in the Applications/Utilities folder

Click on New Image

Select a place to save the disk image, and a name

Choose a size which suites your needs

for encryption choose AES-128

And for format leave it as read/write.

Then Click Create and and put in a password

When you put in a password make sure you de-select remember password

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Use an encrypted disk image.

Disk Utility > New > Blank Disk Image

Choose your size, encryption type and name, etc. It will ask you for a password. Be sure not to save it in the keychain. Don't lose this password or your data will be gone forever.

Be sure that it is read/write. When created just double click to mount it and then just save your files to it. Unmount it when you're done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.