• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Sold Macbook on eBay, user trying to scam me. Advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
So I sold my Macbook on ebay and it arrived to the user on Wednesday (Oct 31st). Tonight (Nov 3rd), I receive an email from the user saying the super drive doesn't work and the HDD size is incorrect, all of which are untrue. I KNOW the drive was 120GB when it left my house and the superdrive had to work because I installed OS X just before putting it into the box (the original Apple shipping and packaging boxes). He submits and escalates a paypal dispute, PRIOR to contacting me. After almost giving up on waiting for payment (nearly 48hrs), he does this to me. I have a very strong feeling he's going to try to return a different Macbook to me and want a full refund.

The Macbook is still under the 1 year warranty so *if* (seriously doubt it) the superdrive is actually bad, it can still be replaced from Apple. I never opened the Macbook, is there a way to tell if the insides have been messed with?

If things don't work out, eBay just lost my business for anything of value.

Is there anything I can do? Any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.5 GB Ram
did you say that you would accept refunds ? i had some "i got in trouble for writing not even a swear word here... whatever... im not 12 anymore mummy" try and scam me when i sold her my pc saying stuff was broken when it wasnt. There was pretty much nothing she could do tho. I didnt use paypal, im not sure how paypal works in these situations. You could always email paypal saying that he is trying to scam you?

Xer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Aluminum 24", MacBook White
Try contacting PayPal or eBay's support for that issue, present them with your story and show them evidence for this MacBook that you sold (Like receipt from where you bought it with specs and so...).

After you get your payment give him a decent bad feedback with all that you think of him.

Good Luck!

PS. oh and next time, don't never, ever ship items to buyers before they pay.

Reaction score
Did you register it when you first bought it? Do you have record of the serial number?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
The easiest way to go is the serial number. Unless you had the logic board replaced, he can look it up under "about this Mac". You can call Apple to get your serial number. If they don't match, scam. If they do, then you know he's lying. Offer to take it back and send him the right computer. He'll back down since he knows he'll just get the same computer and lose the shipping costs.

He's already lost points with Ebay/Paypal for not trying to resolve with your first.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PS. oh and next time, don't never, ever ship items to buyers before they pay.

I didn't ship before getting payment.

I did have this in the auction notes: "This item is sold as is but it worked fine just before I put it in the box last night after doing a factory OS restore"

I do have the s/n (wrote it down before sending laptop). When you first turn on the Mac, don't you go through the registration process? If so, then it has been registered.

Thanks for the advice everyone, if you have any more please keep it coming!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
I never go to ebay for electronics... ever! You just don't know who's fake and who's real. Ebay has gotten so out of hand... it's not worth it.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I never go to ebay for electronics... ever! You just don't know who's fake and who's real. Ebay has gotten so out of hand... it's not worth it.

Yeah, I agree. I'll sell my used DVD's on there but never anything of significant value EVER again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't use E-Bay? Seriously, with all of the bs crap that people pull on E-Bay, I have no idea why people insist on using their (so-called) service.

Uh, because millions of people use it quite successfully. How else are you going to go about selling a Pez dispenser collection if nobody in your geographic location is interested in buying, but you know buyers are out there? (This is exactly how Ebay got started.)

Or for selling large items locally, it can be a nightmare trying to find a buyer and paying ridiculous amounts to local newspapers hoping people still look in papers for things. I have sold a TV, washer/dryer, and electric piano on Ebay to local buyers which would have cost em a lot more to sell via newspapers and I probably wouldn't have been able to sell it for as much.

I did have this in the auction notes: "This item is sold as is but it worked fine just before I put it in the box last night after doing a factory OS restore"

You have nothing to worry about. When you say the item is as is and don't offer any guarantee or refund, you are covered. If something happened in transit, that's what shipping insurance is for. If it has a different hard drive and you didn't say it was factory, it doesn't matter if he thought it should have the factory hard drive. If the DVD drive could have been replaced under warranty and he voided that warranty by cracking open the case and looking at the hard drive inside, his loss.

But the bottom line is as is with no guarantee means you get what you get. I sold a TV once that worked fine for me and phrased by description just like you. The guy picked it up himself and 3 days later complained to me that the picture was bad. I couldn't help him. I don't know if he banged it when he unloaded it or if moisture got in while he took it home in the back of his pickup. He took it to Ebay too, but I won in the end.

I don't think it's necessary to avoid Ebay for those purchases. In fact, I think it's absolutely great for electronics and I pretty much buy ALL my electronics from Ebay. For example last spring I bought a brand new Canon EOS 400D camera with a kit lens and US warranty for $150 less than I could find anywhere else. It was one of the best purchases I've made on Ebay.

You just have to be smart: watch reputation, watch shipping costs, read descriptions carefully (avoid "as is" sellers like I mentioned above), and check people who have given feedback and their product selling pattern. There has been some unscrupulous behavior, but Ebay has taken steps to curb it. For example, a lot of people were making ridiculous shipping costs and low prices, so Ebay now has shipping right there in the auction listings before you click on an auction. Also, people would sometimes build up their own feedback with friends or false identities, but Ebay made it easy to check who is leaving feedback and who those people are buying from most.

Reaction score
I don't think it's necessary to avoid Ebay for those purchases...

You just have to be smart....

I agree. Usually the auctions that are scams are pretty obvious and are usually taken down fairly quick. I have never dealt with any buyer who were trying to defraud me but I am sure there are individuals like that out there, hopefully eBay/PayPal will side with you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just can't trust people these days........ sorry........ I refuse to buy OR sell anything of value on Ebay..... and PayPal just down and outright SUCKS!

I'm very curious as to how this pans out now.... keep us updated.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Definitely sounds like the guy doesn't know anything about computers, let alone Macs. The sound the super drive made when I first put in a DVD kind of freaked me out too before realizing they all do that. He's probably assuming it doesn't work. And hey, my MBP says my drive is only 111.79 GB, maybe I should demand my money back from Apple!

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. That's why I transfer my money out of Paypal the second it hits my account and I don't leave feedback for the buyer until the money is safely in my account.

I hope everything works out for you. Keep us posted on the the progress.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
you're probably screwed. Pay Pal is notorious for siding with the buyers no matter if they're in the wrong or not.

www.paypalsucks.com

good luck anyways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
lol... I live 10 minutes away from this guy :p
baced on your blog post, he sounds like he is a first time mac user which does not know anything about the computer.
he probably ejected the cd right after he heard the 'crunching' sound
and the os installation takes a couple of gigs which makes the hdd a little less than 120 gigs
hope you get this worked out soon!

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you're probably screwed. Pay Pal is notorious for siding with the buyers no matter if they're in the wrong or not.

good luck anyways.

You are correct! That's exactly what happened. Even though I requested a call from Paypal before the case was decided, no one ever called me. For the most part they ignored me (the seller) completely. I had proof the buyer was dishonest (lying in my book) and they still sided with the buyer.

But this is where it gets interesting. After Paypal sided with the buyer on December 5th, the buyer and I exchanged some pleasantries via email and I figured the Macbook would show up at my door one day. He had until December 15th to respond to Paypal (I believe with proof of shipping). December 16th came and they had not heard anything from him, even after they sent him a few reminder emails. I called Paypal, and even though the deadline to respond was the 15th, they said he actually had until the 16th to respond. When is a deadline not a deadline? When it's from Paypal of course! As of 12:07 AM EST today though, the case has been closed. The buyer didn't respond to Paypal in the time allowed and they closed the case. It looks like I don't have to deal with this joker any more; yeah!

The full story is here: http://adventuresandbox.com/2007/11/15/my-ebay-and-paypal-nightmare

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
The warranty is pretty much covering parts and mechanical defects, not retards that don't know how to operate a machine.

Sorry that you're had to go through with that, but Pay Pal is the devil.

One guy got scammed out of about $2500 on the photography forum for a digital camera.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.