External Hard Drive problem with Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook Intel 2 Duo Core.. 120 GB HD.. 3 GB Ram
Hello,

This is my first post here. I have an external drive with all of my photos, home-made movies, and documents that aren't on my macbook. I backed everything up the night before installing leopard, and now when I try to connect my external drive, it is not shown on my desktop. The computer doesn't even recognize I have connected anything to it. The drive is lighting up, so I know the chord is connected. I looked in the system profiler and it showed my hard drive connected via usb, but I couldn't do anything to get the computer to read it. Any ideas? I tried looking around the site, but didn't seem to find anything where the external drive wasn't even being seen. (I also checked with disk utility and it doesn't show that anything is connected. Only through system profile can I see anything)

OP
zmckindles
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, will try to find a comp. running tiger at school tomorrow and check it out. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB DDR2 SDRAM 160GB HD
Archive and Install with limited HD Space?

I just got my 10.5 CD in the mail, and I am wondering if it is possible for me to archive and install with less than 7GB's of HD space.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No
My upgrade install took 9GB.
Archive will take at least that, plus the back up of the archived Tiger install.

And you really shouldn't be running any OS with less than 10-15% free space unless you enjoy asking for problems, imho.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB DDR2 SDRAM 160GB HD
Thanks, I guess I have to delete some stuff.

OP
zmckindles
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok.. So I checked out the link above and found a Tiger mac to attach my hard drive to, but the same thing happened on the Tiger computer. Only the system profiler will see that anything is attached, not the disk utility or the mac itself. Any other suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.