• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Things that bug me (Mac related).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
First off let me apologize for the negativity in the post that follows.

• People writing MAC when they mean Mac.

• People referring to Mac as a company/manufacturer.

• Calling the Option key the "alt" key (not helped by the fact that the Option key says "alt" on it, and not Option [on my MBP anyway]).

• Calling the Command key the "Apple" key (again, same problem as Option).

• Seeing "iPod" formatted in any way other than intended; examples include Ipod, I-pod & IPod. For some reason the same *******ization of other products with an "i" prefix isn't as irritating.

• Calling the "Zoom" button the "Maximize" button.

• Missing the accent off "Exposé"

• Verbalizing Mac OS X as "Mac oh-es-ex"

• Advising Perian to enable Windows Media playback.

If you do any of these things, please don't be offended... consider it a learning point :D

Am I weird? Is this normal? Anything to add?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with most of your points but the Apple Key was called that way back when. When I first bought a used Mac years ago, everyone called it the Apple key. The Brand New Metal Apple keyboard is the first one I have seen without the Apple on the Command key.

I leave the accent off Expose because it bugs me to find the key. é Figured it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
When I first bought a used Mac years ago, everyone called it the Apple key

Nothing has changed, then. They still do, and they're still wrong.

The Apple II series machines had "open-Apple" (outline logo) and "closed-Apple" (solid logo) keys. Macs never have, but the Command keys doubled as open-Apple keys on some keyboards.

Reaction score

I've had people call it an "iPod computer" and when I correct them they say same thing what's the difference........if they say that there is no point saying anything back........

OP
Levi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Yeah, I hate it when people come up with silly names for the zoom button.

Blame Don McAlister for that one... he referred to it as the Optimize button (I actually sent him an email to inform him it was the Zoom button ages ago... irony for you) and I was just thinking about it as I wrote that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
First off let me apologize for the negativity in the post that follows.

• People writing MAC when they mean Mac.

• Calling the Option key the "alt" key (not helped by the fact that the Option key says "alt" on it, and not Option [on my MBP anyway]).

• Calling the Command key the "Apple" key (again, same problem as Option).

• Seeing "iPod" formatted in any way other than intended; examples include Ipod, I-pod & IPod. For some reason the same *******ization of other products with an "i" prefix isn't as irritating.

• Calling the "Zoom" button the "Maximize" button.

• Missing the accent off "Exposé"

• Verbalizing Mac OS X as "Mac oh-es-ex"

• Advising Perian to enable Windows Media playback.

If you do any of these things, please don't be offended... consider it a learning point :D

Am I weird? Is this normal? Anything to add?

I agree with pretty much all of 'em.

• My MBP says "option" and "alt"

• Don't really care about the "zoom" button and I don't know about the "Advising Perian to enable Windows Media playback."

• I was just talking to a friend about the "MAC" thing though. I saw one yesterday that was "MAC BOOK". ;)

• Mac OS X means Mac OS 10, but when it's written like that.. it's super annoying.

• That whole iPod thing really gets to me. I work at Apple, and when we get hardcopy resumés [*accent mark* ;)] that have something along those lines, I just laugh and think "If you were a real Apple fan, you'd write that correctly." :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Agreed with all of them... one question about the last though - How would you verbalise OS X? =\

EDIT: Wait... OS 10, right...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Wow...you are a really bitter person.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.5 GB Ram
why cant people call it OS X... its the way its written... i barely hear anyone call it OS 10.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Because "X" is the Roman numeral for "10", therefore 'X" is pronounced "ten"

But I'll continue saying OS eX because everyone knows what I'm talking about when I do and it sounds better than a number...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
As far as the zoom thing, I saw a video somewhere of Steve Jobs introducing Aqua and he actually referred to it as the maximize button. If Steve Jobs can call it the maximize button, so can the rest of us. That's just my take on it. You don't have to agree, so don't flame me.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
As far as the zoom thing, I saw a video somewhere of Steve Jobs introducing Aqua and he actually referred to it as the maximize button. If Steve Jobs can call it the maximize button, so can the rest of us. That's just my take on it. You don't have to agree, so don't flame me.

Interesting Jobs said that. The reason I do not call it Maximize is because it does not maximize but makes the window large enough to view the content. I will not flame you for it though! :D

Hey, I call OSX OS EX because it sounds good that way and so many do call it that, but I know it's OS10. Jobs calls it OS10 and always has.

The reason why MAC bugs especially the tech/network types like me is because MAC is Media Access Controller. If it did not stand for that it would not bother me as much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Interesting Jobs said that.
Hey, I call OSX OS EX because it sounds good that way and so many do call it that, but I know it's OS10. Jobs calls it OS10 and always has.

I just call it Leopard.;D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just call it Leopard.;D

I told one friend who is a very Anti Mac person that I got Leopard and he thought I was talking about a Cat. Yeah, I purchase a REAL live Leopard every day! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Zoom" just sounds like a tool that would belong under "Universal Access". Perhaps a tool that would make text larger. *shrugs*

By the way, I was able to find the site where I viewed that video. Just scroll down a little bit and you'll see the video embedded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
I can't stand when people say "OS EX." To me.. it sounds like a person that has no idea what they're talking about... but thinks they do.

"X" is a roman numeral for "10," so that's how it should be pronounced. No one says "Superbowl ex-el-eye-eye" for "Superbowl 42."

That's just me though..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
An astute observation. That would be cumbersome.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.