Finder sidebar: Shared Computers shows nothing

Reaction score
I have two computers in the house but neither computer shows anything in the Shared section in the Finder's sidebar. In fact, the Shared section header doesn't even appear.

Both computers are Leopard. Both have Finder preferences set to show everything shared. They're on the same network and they can ping each other. Both have Screen Sharing turned on and it works both ways using Go to Server or using the Screen Sharing utility . Both have the firewall set to Allow all incoming connections.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Do you have File Sharing turned on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Even I've had this problem. Sometimes they show, sometimes they don't. Usually a restart does the trick. However, if you badly need to access your mac, then go to the Finder Menubar >Go>Network

Or you could do the usual Command+K and then enter the computer name in there (as shown in the Sharing preference pane)

Reaction score
It seems the problem lies with IPv6 - some shares don't use it but Leopard, by default, has it automatically configured. Just turn it off and flush the cache:
System Preferences > Network > Airport (or ethernet - whichever adapter you're using) > Advanced button > TCP/IP tab > Configure IPv6 drop-down > off.

Open terminal and type: dscacheutil -flushcache

Reaction score
Solution to shared computers missing from sidebar

http://ngpingching.ca/2008/06/18/or...omputers-in-mac-os-x-leopard-finders-sidebar/

Shared computers were showing up on in my Finder's sidebar until I reinstalled Leopard. However, if I booted from my external drive (I cloned my HDD before reinstalling Leopard), the shared computers would show up again.

Having found no solution on the net, I called Apple since I have AppleCare. That's where I got that solution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.