/home mystery

Reaction score
When I was running Tiger, I created a /home directory, and put some important symbolic links in it. When I upgraded to Leopard, my links had disappeared, and I could no longer write to the apparently empty /home. Its permissions had become:

dr-xr-xr-x 2 root wheel

So I added write permissions to make it drwxdrwxdrwx. But for some reason, I still couldn't write to it.

I tried becoming root with su before writing to it. I tried sudoing as I wrote to it (after adding myself to the wheel group). No matter what I tried, I still couldn't write to it. Whenever I try to create a file or symbolic link in /home, I get an "Input/output error". Curiously, when I reboot, it reverts to its old permissions (dr-xr-xr-x). But even after I change the permissions so I should be able to write to it, I can't. If I delete the directory (via Target Disk Mode), it's automatically regenerated the next time I reboot, and it's still untouchable.

Can anyone help me figure out how to write to this friggin' directory?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I know the directory/folder does not exist on my system which has tiger installed.

What I am wondering is has it been created or is it part of the leopard install. Since it is created after you delete it and reboot. You will need a person woth leopard installed to check and see if the /home directory/folder does exist.

OP
H
Reaction score
I think this is a Leopard issue. I looked at another Leopard computer, and it had an untouchable empty "/home" directory as well. Tiger and Panther computers don't seem to have one. Now if I could only figure out how Leopard is locking down this directory, which it isn't even using.

OP
H
Reaction score
FYI, I got a good answer on the darwin-userlevel mailing list:

Leopard's automounter uses the path /home for the autofs filesystem. This is where NFS and other network filesystems are mounted. Your original contents are there, but obscured by the mountpoint:

$ df | grep /home
map auto_home 0 0 0 100% /home

See the automount(8) man page for more information about the automounter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.