iPhone tip to extend battery life

Reaction score
This probably has been said previous but its worth a repeat. If you need to greatly (I get about double) increase your battery life simply turn off bluetooth and wifi. Just using edge will make my battery last about 4 days with light use in contrast to 2 w/wifi on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
This probably has been said previous but its worth a repeat. If you need to greatly (I get about double) increase your battery life simply turn off bluetooth and wifi. Just using edge will make my battery last about 4 days with light use in contrast to 2 w/wifi on.

You are right it has, as well as turning of the click sounds for the KB. :)

OP
Michael415
Reaction score
Edge is useless imo

I have heard this before, but useless compared to what, im not sure. I get on average 190+ kbs using edge and wifi 740 kbs. Granted wifi is faster but 190 isn't something to scoff at either, still 3.5x faster than dialup and I am not dependent on being in range of a wifi setup. And trust me if you go out to my other remote house you would be singing the praises of 190k, since no dsl or cable is available, only dialup.

Reaction score
Compared to HSDPA or 3g. Or verisons vision.

Bout the battery life though. When you said your battery lasted 4 days, were you joking? or do you just use it for calling and text? because i use it for music, call, sms, a no edge or wifi and mine only lasts a day, i need to charge it almost everyday

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Wow, I use my iPhone mainly as a phone, but I leave it on both WiFi and EDGE full time. It goes at least a week between charges, a little less than that if I crank up its iPod and listen to music. I am HUGELY impressed with its battery performance. Best cell phone I have ever had in this regard...

Well, best cell phone I have ever had, period!

EDGE is useless? I don't think so. Google Maps, powered by EDGE, while I was lost travelling from New York city to an outlying town, saved my bacon. EDGE rocks as far as I am concerned. It is not zippy fast, but I didn't expect it to be. It IS a lot faster than any previous wireless data connect mechanism I have ever used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Edge is useless imo

EDGE is useless? I don't think so. Google Maps, powered by EDGE, while I was lost travelling from New York city to an outlying town, saved my bacon. EDGE rocks as far as I am concerned. It is not zippy fast, but I didn't expect it to be. It IS a lot faster than any previous wireless data connect mechanism I have ever used.

You guys have to remember that EDGE speeds vary by region. The Northeast and West Coast generally get better EDGE speeds than the Midwest or South. So while EDGE may not be that great for guant, it's perfectly fine for people like you and me.

OP
Michael415
Reaction score
Compared to HSDPA or 3g. Or verisons vision.

Bout the battery life though. When you said your battery lasted 4 days, were you joking? or do you just use it for calling and text? because i use it for music, call, sms, a no edge or wifi and mine only lasts a day, i need to charge it almost everyday

Nope totally serious, with light use (less than an hour talking on the phone) checking some email and a few txt it will last 4 days. If I surf alot then yeah it will only last a few days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll backup Michael, with light use I can manage several days before recharging. I usually recharge about every 2 days since I tend to browse the Net a lot on my phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Alm 2.4Ghz iMac 750Gb HD 4Gb Ram
I'm envious of your iphones - my Treo680 goes about 10hrs before the battery dies (w/out out a charge).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 8gig, inherited powerbook (beer+mac=power-brick)
brightness can help battery life by turning it down

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
Edge is useless imo

not useless for me to check email when im not stationary. Something is WAYYYYYY better than nothing.

i go about 4-5 days with light usage. screen is set to about 20% (cause its bright!!!), with autobrightness OFF.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've actually noticed another speed bump for EDGE lately. It seems a lot snappier than just a few weeks ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've actually noticed another speed bump for EDGE lately. It seems a lot snappier than just a few weeks ago.

mine is significantly faster in baltimore than it is 20 min outside of Baltimore. Signal is the same, kinda odd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
The difference when I have a strong signal compared to a weak signal is huge when using EDGE. 5 bars and I don't really mind EDGE at all. 1 or 2 bars and it drives me nuts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
not useless for me to check email when im not stationary. Something is WAYYYYYY better than nothing.

i go about 4-5 days with light usage. screen is set to about 20% (cause its bright!!!), with autobrightness OFF.

anyone see anything wrong with this post to get a strike?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.