Connection Timed Out in Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz iMac Core 2 Duo, 1.5Ghz Powerbook G4
I've installed Leopard on my iMac this morning, but when it comes to connecting to my network so i can get on the internet it keeps coming back to me "connection timed out"

I know there is no problem with the network as I can log in using my Powerbook which is sat next to it.

I've checked that the settings in preferences are the same across both machines but no luck on getting the iMac to connect

any ideas?

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem ... although I installed Leopard some time ago.

My MacBook Pro connects to my wireless network, but my desktop Mini won't. I enter the name of my network and the password (with the correct authentication), and the little 'working' swirlie does about 5 quick turns before telling me "Connection timeout".

Thing is, I haven't had a problem with the Mini since I set up the network, and certainly not in the last few weeks since installing Leopard. Now, it's acting funny ...

:Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IIgs | G4 tower (gbe) | nano | macbook 2.2 coreduo, 2gb ;)
Does the mini connect when your mac book pro is off? Also, what network options do you get when you click on the "wireless icon" to the left of your time?

Reaction score
Leopard airport Timing out solution

NOT sure if this is relevant to your problem

But anyway, below is a solution from fred (Genius!!) it comes from

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-375266.html

You have to do this through SAFARI (then for me camino worked perfectly as well)

1. When you awaken Leopard you get the "None of your preferred networks are available" message.

Cancel it.

2. Ask Safari to open any page. It will, of course, hang with the message "You are not connected to the Internet."

Click on the "Network Diagnostics..." button in the message box.

3. You should get a dialog box titled "Network Diagnostics". The list of "locations" should have the name of your usual network setup highlighted in gray. All the network status signals down the left side will be red.

Click on the "Continue" button in the dialog box.

4. You should see a fresh Network Diagnostics box subtitled "Choose network port configuration"

Click on the AirPort radio button.
Then click on continue.

5. The Network Diagnostics box should be refreshed. You should now see "Select AirPort network" as a subtitle, and one or more wireless network names listed.

Click on your wireless network name (the one your AirPort knows).
Click the Continue button.

6. Type your password in the Password box in the next refresh. (No need for a $. Just your password.) (Don't bother checking the Remember password... box. It seems non-functional.)

7. Click the Continue button.

8. The Network Fairy awakens, makes all the status signals on the left green, turns on your wireless signal strength icon in the top bar, loads your Safari page, and leaves you with the message: "Your Internet connection appears to be working correctly."

9. Beats me why the "other" WEP password entry process consistently fails.

Fred

Reaction score
It did not work, the annoying thing is this time out problem only happened on the MacBook after installing Snow Leopard. The MacMini does not seem to be affected...

Seems to me it's an 'N' problem

Reaction score
If your router is using WEP connection - this is likely to be the cause of the "Connection Timeout" message. It took 30 seconds to change my router to WPA and it worked after that (shame it took about 5 hours of fiddling before I tried that).

Reaction score
Prblm

I dont understand, if I go to someone elses house, I connect fine. But in my house it's messed up. connection timeout..........connection timeoout.
i hate it. We had verizon and it didnt worked, then we switched to comcast and it still didnt work. I have to turn off airport, turn off the modem and wait several times before it works. Before it was once every two months, now it's 5 times a month and I can put in the password a 100 times and it wont help, apple said it was the internet, but i no thats bs!

Reaction score
My Fix

After owning macs for three years and not having issues, we were suddenly having an issue connecting via AirPort. We were getting 'connection timeout', and it was happening pretty quickly.

While I deleted keychains and such, the network wasn't popping up in my list of options. After a while, it did. When I looked at the list, the number of bars next to my AirPort was zero, which was odd since it was 20 feet away.

Turned out we have new wireless headphones. The headphones were disconnected from the station, even though they weren't powered, the base station was interferring with the mac. I would assume another channel would be picked, but I guess not.

Reaction score
this worked for me

after searching for a while and trying a few things... this was my solution:

1. go to system prefs

2. open network

3. i actually did 3 things here.....

see the + - at the bottom, and the little wheel with an arrow... click that

changed the order so Airport is on top, and click on ethernet and "Make Service Inactive" by clicking on the button next to the + - at the bottom.

just like magic it works!

O

ox4dboy

I tried @waynerrr's suggestion on my wife's MacBook (gen1) - nothing is ever found. I see "Scanning… " forever.

I also tried @domrides tip with no luck.

THis did not happen untl we installed Snow Leopard on the MacBook. I know lots of folks who are having wireless problems on the Snow Leopard Macs - Apple has gotten something wrong in Snow Loepard when it comes to laptops and wireless connections.

Reaction score
I had the same issue, I updated to 10.6.4 and was no longer able to connect to my own brand new home network. I tried updating the routers firmware and changing channel settings, I disabled the WPA security, as well as deleted my network settings and tried from scratch, yet nothing helped.

BUT WHAT DID WORK
1. Boot into windows using bootcamp
2. Try to connect to your desired network.
3. REPAIR the network by right clicking on the wireless icon in the taskbar and selecting repair! (do this even if you can connect)
4. Boot back into Mac OS X 10.6.4

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
I have a similar problem except my connection works fine for a while then suddenly stops. If I disconnect airport then reconnect it works again for a while.

Reaction score
Simple solution

I stumbled upon a simple solution the the connection timeout problem after waking up my MacBook Pro this morning. I think its simply going to sleep. For some reason it did not charge over night, so when I plug in the power it boots up. Then I use the internet for a few, I get kicked off the network and get the dreaded "Connection Timeout" message when trying to re-connect. Then my power gets pulled out (really difficult to do isn't it) and my computer goes to sleep. When I wake it back up, it connects to the network fine! So I think simply putting the computer to sleep, and waking it back up, is the solution!

Reaction score
it helped

after searching for a while and trying a few things... this was my solution:

1. go to system prefs

2. open network

3. i actually did 3 things here.....

see the + - at the bottom, and the little wheel with an arrow... click that

changed the order so Airport is on top, and click on ethernet and "Make Service Inactive" by clicking on the button next to the + - at the bottom.

just like magic it works!

it works for me.. the "bluetooth DUN", which doesn't really configured, over ruled the ethernet and wireless, and made my MBP "timeout" for more than 3 hours until I found above hint.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.