Just used MAC for the First time Ever.

Reaction score
I have been using a PC for the last 15 years until today. I just purchsed a MAC BOOK. After getting over the depression of wasting 15 years of my life with inferior computer equipment, I have some questions. Im running Mac OSX 10.4.10. Not sure wht the name of that version is. But my question is this. With the PC you have to be very vigilant with the anti virus software. I heard a rumor that virus problems dont exist with MAC. Is that true? If not what is a good anti virus program for my OS version. And for you long time MAC users any idea on the " essentials every one should have for their MAC. Not just stuff for virus protection, but just all aroung good and fun stuff to have on a MAC. Thanks for the help. Look forward to seeing everyone on the forums for a long time to come. O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz iMac Core 2 Duo with 2.5 gigs of RAM
Welcome to the Mac world. :) You are running OS X Tiger, by the way.

There is no need for an anti-virus, so don't worry.

If you don't like Safari as your Web browser, try Camino. It's pretty neat.

The best BitTorrent client on Mac is Transmission.

And if you need to edit MP3 files, Fission is your friend.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Welcome to Mac Forums and to the world of Macs and OSX. If we can help in any way, just let us know.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Zedhead999. Great that you found us! I hope you enjoy it here! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
Welcome and enjoy. This is a great forum feel free to ask questions, lots of knowledge of people here!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
I have been using a PC for the last 15 years until today. I just purchsed a MAC BOOK. After getting over the depression of wasting 15 years of my life with inferior computer equipment, I have some questions. Im running Mac OSX 10.4.10. Not sure wht the name of that version is. But my question is this. With the PC you have to be very vigilant with the anti virus software. I heard a rumor that virus problems dont exist with MAC. Is that true? If not what is a good anti virus program for my OS version. And for you long time MAC users any idea on the " essentials every one should have for their MAC. Not just stuff for virus protection, but just all aroung good and fun stuff to have on a MAC. Thanks for the help. Look forward to seeing everyone on the forums for a long time to come. O:)

Hi and welcome to the world of macs....it's a great ride...

That would be Tiger OSX your running...no virus to date...

I am a former pc user and believe me you made a great choice...

Not sure if you planned to get Leopard on it....I'd reccomend holding off on Leopard until apple does some updates to 10.5.1 ....too many bugs right now...

Have fun and nice to see you arounf the forum...excellant place to get answers...;D

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thank You!

Thank You for all the help. It seems like the MAC computers aren't the only thing better. The MAC commuity and users seem to be a lot different and a much more tight knit group. Happy to be one now. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I know the fact there are no mac viruses around has been covered before - but you can pass on a PC virus through email - although it can do nothing on your mac. I use the free ClamX virus scanner every now and then just in case.

Also - turn on the macs built in firewall - its in system preferences > Sharing.

As for essentials:

ONYX - a maintenance utility that lets you carry out the macs maintenance jobs manually - Free

Neo Office - I you cant afford or don't want MS office.

Linotype font explorer - if you need to manage a large font library

Firefox and thunderebird - you probably know about these already.

MactheRipper - for duping DVDs to watch at your leisure

One paid for must IMO is Toast - gives you much more than OS Xs own Burning utility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
Welcome to the Mac world. :) You are running OS X Tiger, by the way.

There is no need for an anti-virus, so don't worry.

If you don't like Safari as your Web browser, try Camino. It's pretty neat.

The best BitTorrent client on Mac is Transmission.

And if you need to edit MP3 files, Fission is your friend.

Camino was created by Mozilla, so it looks a lot like Firefox. All the same features..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
By the way.... Welcome to the wonderful world of Macs, Zedhead999!!

PowerMacJ7's right... tons of knowledge on this forum! Don't be afraid to ask!

Also, check out www.apple.com/discussions. Great place to get answers to almost any question!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.