Just tried Fusion. Did not like it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
I just got done uninstalling VMware Fusion from my new iMac. My big problem is that there is only DirectX 8 support. I also had problems ejecting disc's. On top of that, when I went into the systems folder it said I only have 512MB of Ram when I have 2GB.

It just felt like I was sodomizing my Mac. I could'nt do it.

I dont want Windows in my Mac PERIOD. I may use Bootcamp when Leopard gets to me next week but Fusion is just not for me.

Reaction score
You can change settings of the Virtual Machine. You can tell it how much ram, how many processors, how much disk space, etc. etc. Thing is, VMs share resources with your native OS. So, if you dedicate 1 GB of ram to XP inside a VM, that 1 GB is dedicated to that VM while it is running. So OS X would only have 1 GB to use while you are using the VM.

I haven't had problems with ejecting disks. I'm sorry to hear that you did. Did you make sure to install VMWare Tools?

There is experimental DirectX 9 support that you can activate. I haven't personally tried it. I don't plan on playing games on a VM, I'd rather boot into windows using bootcamp if I were to play games on the MBP, which I probably wouldn't do either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.