• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Question regarding Final Cut Express HD 3.5 Upgrade

Reaction score
Hello all

Very new Mac user here (bought my first one tonight).

Do you need an older version already on the machine to install the FINAL CUT EXPRESS HD 3.5 UPGRADE.

The store clerk sold me an upgrade and is know giving me a hard time about returning it because I opened it - even thought he pulled my $4500 order for me.

They asked me why I didnt catch the price differance in the store and between the store being packed, a unexpected discount, and only being shown the grand total - I never cought it.

So now I am sitting here with a package I am not to sure I can even use.

Thanks

Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I don't know about the upgrade part, but perhaps if you offered to buy the full license it wouldn't be an issue to exchange the package.

This is as much your sales guy fault since as a person selling you a new machine, he should have at least raised the question, "do you already have FCE", considering you bought a new machine.

Reaction score
I am not sure if you can install FC Express HD 3.5 upgrade without the previous version. If you just spent 4500. dollars at this store however, I think you have some leverage with these people. If you want to return the Final Cut and keep your machine and additional software... then be very clear: if they do not allow you to do this, you will make as much trouble and hassle for them as possible, including returning your machine and buying it somewhere else. You just bought it tonight, and if they have any kind of return policy, it will certainly extend beyond 24 hours. If they say no to that, make it clear you will be contacting Apple as well as other vendors in town. I would make it clear I intended to imply they knew they were selling me an upgrade I couldn't use, as i was obviously buying a new machine and not experienced with Mac, and that this says some pretty unsavory things about their business practices.

I'm surprised a store you gave that much business to is being difficult. I think it is time to get aggressive, and don't back down. Be sure of yourself. Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.