Is there an equivilant of the XP "Windows + E" shotcut?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just purchased a 24" iMac for the wife and kids to use. I've grown up on Windows and can't bring myself to ditch the PC just yet :) I have just read through the keyboard shortcuts FAQ with no luck so I'm hoping someone can help with this please:

When using the mac, let's say we have firefox, mail and itunes open, taking up the whole screen. Now I want to open a finder window to copy some files from the desktop to the network. In windows, I'd just press "Windows Key + E" to bring up an explorer window, the equivilant of a finder window. I just don't know how to do this on the mac.

I know I can press F11, then click the desktop, then open a Finder window but this is a pain, surely there is a way to open a Finder window no matter where you are?

Thanks in advance,

Greg.

PS. My only other complaint is that the maximise key doesn't maximise full screen...that is really taking some getting used to :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Just click the Finder icon on the dock. It's on the left.

As for maximize, OS X doesn't function like Windows. Apps aren't meant to be run in full screen, they meant to be run in windows so you can easily multi-task.

OP
G
Reaction score
Just click the Finder icon on the dock. It's on the left.

As for maximize, OS X doesn't function like Windows. Apps aren't meant to be run in full screen, they meant to be run in windows so you can easily multi-task.

Perfect! Thank you for that. I guess there isn't an associated shortcut?

As for maximise, I understand, it's just a tough one to get my head around.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
I think the maximize thing is hard for everyone that switches from Windoze. I've come around, though. Now I love having multiple documents on the screen at the same time. It makes writing papers a lot easier, especially when you have sources to cite. For instance, you can have Pages or Word open on one side of the screen and you can have an Adobe Acrobat file on the other side of the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz iMac Core 2 Duo with 2.5 gigs of RAM
Install Quicksilver:

http://blacktree.com/

It will let you create keyboard shortcuts for just about anything you want, including opening a Finder window.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.