router on an airport extreme will not connect to network

Reaction score
Here is my network set up:
setup.jpg

Now this is the problem:
everything on my linksys router will not communicate with my computers on the airport extreme. (Basically I am focusing on my mac mini, macbook, and my pc).
The mini and macbook can connect with each other through wireless. The mini is also wired so it can connect to my PC.

from what I know the airport extreme is using the 10.0.1.xx IP adresses while the linksys is using 192.168.1.xx IP adresses. I am not that smart with networking, but I am sure that could be part of the problem. Both the routers use the same subnet mask: 255.255.255.xxx

My airport base station connects to the internet by using DHCP. For connection sharing it says share a public IP adress.

My Linksys setup is all default.

Basically the linksys is causing me a problem. When "My PC" is connected to the airport by itself, everything is fine. When it is on the linksys it is messed up.

I would appreciate any help or insight to this problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I think you have to change a setting in the Linksys to have it act as a switch rather than a router.

I believe there's a choice of it acting as a 'Gateway' or 'Router' somewhere in the settings. You want it to be 'Router' rather than 'Gateway' which is the default.

Now I've always had Airport routers so hopefully someone with a Linksys can confirm.

OP
JeffBookPro
Reaction score
OMG! you are right it worked!
I turned off DHCP in the linksys settings. I previously also had the ethernet cable coming from the airport base station connected to the internet port on the linksys. Now I have it in one of the LAN ports. It is networked perfectly, and the internet still works. I have spent like a few weeks trying to figure this out.
Thank you ;D

Now my macs and PCs are all getting along.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.