Do you still have any freezing issues after the update?

Reaction score
So Apple have release an update for the iMac regarding the freezing issue... do you still have any freezing issues after installing the update? So far I haven't have any issues YET.

Reaction score
My iMac freezes at least 2 times a day. I have to restart it every time. This is my first Mac and Ive had it for 2 weeks. I want to love it I really do, but the screen freeze is just annoying.

I went to the update link and it said I was updated so I guess it didnt fix anything.

I tried to call tech support but I could barely understand him. Worse he would tell my to restart my Mac and Id hit the button and then hed say " but before you do that ". After 30 minutes of him I just hung up. If it keeps up Ill just go to the Apple Store and see if the genius can help me.

Reaction score
i have the same problem. i have to restart my iMac every day several times! it drives me crazy..not sure if its cause of software ive installed or its because of the issue.. heeeeeeeeeelp!!!!!

Reaction score
Im taking it to the Apple Store tomorrow. Hopefully they can resolve the issue. I really want to love my Mac but Im having some issues with it that make me wonder if I made a mistake.

1. I was told that my camcorder would work and it would be easy. I have a sony handycam and it doesnt work with the mac. With a small child I was really looking forward to using iMovie and such.

2. The screen freeze. Not acceptable.

3. Tech support over the phone sucks. I mean its HORRIBLE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I've had no problems with my iMac since I bought it on the 26th.

Reaction score
The freezing got unbearable on mine so I brought it into the mac store where I got it, they said they replaced the logic board as it was faulty. Exactly 1 week later the freezing started again, I called and he said he had no idea and to bring it in again. I haven't had a chance but have just installed the update. I used to have a lot of artifacting on the screen now I have none. I won't know for a few more days about the freezing because it was so intermittent but all is looking good... fingers crossed!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
IMac update 1.3 had nothing at all to do with freezes. That is just an assumption those waiting for a fix had.

The problem with your freezes is a hardware one. The drivers post Imac update 1.0 enable 3d content on your card that some cards will freeze trying to utilize. If it was a driver issue (bad drivers) all imacs would be affected. Take your mac back and get it replaced. That is the only way you will get this fixed. Alot of their ATI 2600 HD cards were faulty that got released. A software update will never fix this unless it disabled the 3D effects of the card and who would want that as a "fix"?

Before you take it in I would backup your data, then erase and install Leopard fresh with a blank user profile. Have it as clean as you can get it so the tech can't argue about 3rd party software with you or about software problems in general.

the best reliable way in leopard to get these to freeze is just to open preferences and goto the screen saver section. Try to view any 3d screen saver such as the word of the day and it will freeze right away.

Don't let them tell you they will give it a load test. A load test will not test or even use the 3d engine on that card and it wont freeze. Just have them try to change the screen saver and then they wont have any choice but to exchange it.

Reaction score
I downloaded the update this morning and since then have not had any freezes. I took my mac to the genius bar appt. and told him and he said it was fixed without looking at the Mac at all. They really are good.

He said the update fixed the issue. /shrug I hope hes right :)

Reaction score
Hang in there guys its a software issue Apple is still working on.

Reaction score
Ive been doing every thing I can to see if it will freeze up again and its not. So Im pretty happy :)

Reaction score
silverloop what version are you running? Did you do all of the updates?

Reaction score
Im running 10.4.10. Im still waiting on my OSX upgrade to arrive in the mail.
Im assuming I have done all the updates. I always click on the apple and select software updates.

This morning when I got up the Mac was in sleep mode and I have to restart it 2 times before I could do anything so I guess its not fixed.

Reaction score
IMac update 1.3 had nothing at all to do with freezes. That is just an assumption those waiting for a fix had.

The problem with your freezes is a hardware one. The drivers post Imac update 1.0 enable 3d content on your card that some cards will freeze trying to utilize. If it was a driver issue (bad drivers) all imacs would be affected. Take your mac back and get it replaced. That is the only way you will get this fixed. Alot of their ATI 2600 HD cards were faulty that got released. A software update will never fix this unless it disabled the 3D effects of the card and who would want that as a "fix"?

Before you take it in I would backup your data, then erase and install Leopard fresh with a blank user profile. Have it as clean as you can get it so the tech can't argue about 3rd party software with you or about software problems in general.

the best reliable way in leopard to get these to freeze is just to open preferences and goto the screen saver section. Try to view any 3d screen saver such as the word of the day and it will freeze right away.

Don't let them tell you they will give it a load test. A load test will not test or even use the 3d engine on that card and it wont freeze. Just have them try to change the screen saver and then they wont have any choice but to exchange it.

well its not that easy in my case i think. im runnin 10.4.10 n it freezes in many different situations like starting movie, starting iphoto/itunes/photoshop or workin with above apps. its just crazy ive gone through all maintancy n nothing helps. today im goin to do format/install - lets see if it helps..

oh n one more question; i thought apple was about to realese the freeze update at the end of October. ive downloaded some updates n thought these are the one which were about to fix the problem.. so when well get the fixin update n is it software problem for sure??

thanxxxx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
think about it. How could it possibly be a software problem if it is not affecting every Imac with this hardware configuration? The problem only appears to have the characteristics of a software problem because there is no freezing in Imac Update 1.0 and there is freezing in later updates. You need to go deeper then that though and look at what Imac update 1.1 did for the ATI drivers. In Update 1.0 the ATI drivers did not fully support 3d on the card. As a result no freezing. 1.1 and later more fully support the ATI cards 3d abilities. Now it freezes.

Do all Imacs with the ATI 2600 HD freeze? No. Do even a significant percentage? No. How could this then possibly be a software issue? It can't. Given what we know about the trigger for the freezing the only "software" fix is to cripple your video cards 3d. How is this a fix?

There is only one way to fix this. Exchange your imac under warranty or have them replace the defective hardware. The longer you wait to do this the more time you burn from your macs warranty.

Reaction score
think about it. How could it possibly be a software problem if it is not affecting every Imac with this hardware configuration? The problem only appears to have the characteristics of a software problem because there is no freezing in Imac Update 1.0 and there is freezing in later updates. You need to go deeper then that though and look at what Imac update 1.1 did for the ATI drivers. In Update 1.0 the ATI drivers did not fully support 3d on the card. As a result no freezing. 1.1 and later more fully support the ATI cards 3d abilities. Now it freezes.

Do all Imacs with the ATI 2600 HD freeze? No. Do even a significant percentage? No. How could this then possibly be a software issue? It can't. Given what we know about the trigger for the freezing the only "software" fix is to cripple your video cards 3d. How is this a fix?

There is only one way to fix this. Exchange your imac under warranty or have them replace the defective hardware. The longer you wait to do this the more time you burn from your macs warranty.

sounds reasonably to me..thanx for advice..

how can i proof to them that it is hardware problem tho? i mean how can i proof that my imac freezes so often?? its even more dif as it freezes in many dif situations.. :/

should i call them first and explain problem?

advice highly appreciated!

Reaction score
Freezing is very random

I set my computer up yesterday. I bought it recently but I still had to install leopard on my own. That went smoothly. After i started using it for an hour the screen just went blank. Then a little later the screen froze without any movement. The next day it froze again. I use bootcamp and was using XP the rest of today and have not had any freezes. Also I try all the movies and screensaver methods to get the computer to freeze in leopard and I can't. I've been using leopard for a couple of hours now and no freezing has happened even though i am trying very hard to get it to happen. i called both the apple store and customer care both said they have never heard of the problem. Could that be true. I have searched on yahoo and have found thousands of people with this problem. Even on their own support webpage forums. I mean if I take it to the store and they can't make it freeze then what? Are you people sure its a hardware problem rather than a software issue. Its really unfair of apple to charge us 2000+ for a computer that does this. We should all get together and do something to make our voices be heard.

Thanks

Reaction score
I just had to hard start my iMac 3 times due to freeze. I guess I will make another trip to the store and hopefully I will get something that actually resembles help. The store in my city has only been open about a month and I think nobody there has a clue.

They are aware of the issue. They should be ashamed of themselves for selling junk. Ive had mine for 20 days so I cant take it back or I would. I want to love this machine and be one of those happy apple people.

For now Im just really let down with the product and will not recommend Apple to anyone who asks me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
The severity of the problem in each imac varies. I would find something that reliably freezes the imac every time you try it and stick to that. Don't concentrate when you take it in to much on to many different ways to get it to freeze. Also make sure it is a fresh install of leopard or tiger with update 1.3 on it with no 3rd party software when you take it in. They will try to argue software with you and if it has no software on it but the os it is hard for them to make that argument.

What I did was find that every time I opened the preferences window and went to my screen saver preferences and tryed to select the word of the day screen saver my imac would freeze. Sure I could do other things to freeze it as well but this was a fast and reliable way to get it to do it within OSX itself. I then formatted the imac and fully patched it. With nothing on it except a fully patched OSX and a blank user profile I called every local apple store till I found one that had the same model in stock. I then went there and told them I wanted to exchange it.

When they tryed to claim they may not have one to exchange it with I told them I called ahead and confirmed stock. When they tryed to tell me the freezing could be software or 3rd party related I told them to find for me a single peice of 3rd party software on the imac. When they tryed to tell me that they would have to test it I told them I could reproduce the freeze for them in 10 seconds every single time I wanted to and that the test would not be needed.

In the end they ran out of ways to try to argue with me because I had done my homework before going in and was prepared. They brought out a new box and exchanged it for me. Having never actually powered on my freezing imac once. I guess I wore them out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.