Vanishing Transferred Files -HELP!

Reaction score
I really need some help here.

Problem: I restarted my Macbook Pro 2.4GHz & much to my horror I lost all of the files that I had transferred (via firewire-cable target disk mode)from my older iMac a couple of days ago. In addition, all the files on my desktop also disappeared, as well as the screensaver. The lost files include all of the songs in iTunes, all of the photos in iPhoto, my movies in my Home folder & who knows what else.

Prior to shutting down the MBP & restarting it later, I had deleted some extraneous PowerPC apps & files that I had inadvertently transferred by Migration Assistant before I did the firewire-cable target disk mode transfer. These PowerPC apps weren't causing any problems. I just wanted to be pro-active & get rid of them before any problems occurred. I don't know if this is related to my problem or not.

Any idea why I lost of of these files? Is there a way to restore all of my lost files? Do I have to do another firewire target disk mode transfer?

Thank you for any help you can provide!!

OP
K
Reaction score
BTW, in addition, I lost all of my Mail & web browser settings. Except for the files & apps that I transferred via Migration Assistant, it appears that I'm starting from scratch. Arrgh!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.