Why is my Dual 2.7 G5, 5 gigs ram, Slow?

Reaction score
I use my computer for audio production, video editing, and design..(photoshop and similar), as well as the internet.

I can't figure out why my dual 2.7 G5 with 5 gigs of ram doesn't run faster.
It shouldn't be stuttering running 10 tracks of midi in Reason 4. I can't even really tell a difference in the time it takes opening programs.. ( compared to 1 gig ram before upgrading)

Are there ways to optimize my computer to run faster? i should tell ya I used 4gigs Crucial Ram for upgrade... it has the same specs as stock apple ram.

all replies welcome! thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Has it always behaved this way, and you were expecting it to change after the upgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
Have you done anything to the system lately? Added programs, upgraded to Leopard, etc...

OP
I
Reaction score
I guess it never seemed to perform up to my expectations. Then I added the 4 gigs of ram and then it really didn't meet my expectations for performance.

I'm using Tiger 10.4.10, and I do install new programs from time to time....usually soft synth plug-ins for use with Pro Tools, Ableton Live, etc...
I am going to take a better look and see what I can remove as far as software apps.

I know ram isn't the only thing that determines the speed of the computer, and I try to keep some free space on my internal drive..which has 113GB available out of 234GB total... I save almost all files on external drives though.

I know there's certain programs for pc that help optimize your computer but I can't seem to find any optimization tools for my G5. Let me know what other info I can provide. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I always ask this but never get a response...
Install Menumeters and do some testing. Let us know how much RAM and processing power you use doing what you do.
Maybe we can help you more once we have some numbers to work with.
I know there is a disk defrag app for Mac. Try that in the meantime.
I had a Dual 2.7 for a few weeks. It had a downgraded video card but it produced the same I as Core Duo 2GHz iMac I had. It's almost 2 years old, isn't it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I guess it never seemed to perform up to my expectations. Then I added the 4 gigs of ram and then it really didn't meet my expectations for performance.

I'm using Tiger 10.4.10, and I do install new programs from time to time....usually soft synth plug-ins for use with Pro Tools, Ableton Live, etc...
I am going to take a better look and see what I can remove as far as software apps.

I know ram isn't the only thing that determines the speed of the computer, and I try to keep some free space on my internal drive..which has 113GB available out of 234GB total... I save almost all files on external drives though.

I know there's certain programs for pc that help optimize your computer but I can't seem to find any optimization tools for my G5. Let me know what other info I can provide. Thanks

Those optimization tools for PC are almost always scams. Even the ones sold by reputable companies do little to actually improve the performance of the computer. Try removing and and reinstalling the ram. Sometimes this will help. If that doesn't work try removing all the modules and using them one at a time to see if one module in paticular causes a problem. Also defraging the hard drive never hurts. If none of this helps the only other thing I can think of is that you have some app running that is eating up system resources.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.