Problems since upgrading to Leopard

Reaction score
Upgraded my Macbook (only bought about 3 months ago) to Leopard last weekend and have some annoying/worrying issues since. This is my first Mac, so apologies if some of these problems have obvious fixes!

The problem is that now, whenever I restart a process called System Events is using up 60% of the CPU and something called coreservicesd is using up around another 40% - this causes the temperature to soar (was never a problem before) and the fans to constantly be on over 6000rpm (which is annoyingly noisy).

I'm concerned that this can't be good for it. I can force System Events to quit and that sometimes help, sometimes not (but I know I shouldn't be doing that anyway!).

Any advice? Have a Time Machine backup so am prepared to reformat and install from scratch again if that would help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Go through your third party apps to see if there are updates to them to be 10.5 compatible.

Is your MacBook up to date with Apple Updates? MacBook firmware up to date?

It may be trying to build all of its caches. How long have you let it run?

OP
M
Reaction score
Pretty sure all those things are up to date (I know the firmware and Apple updates are).

I hadn't let it run for long before, but I am now and I've been running close to 180 degrees with those two processes running at the levels mentioned for over an hour now... How long should I wait?

Not much seems to be happening? Is there any way to check what's happening?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
You can try a Safe Boot (hold shift while booting) to see if the problem persists. Also are there startup items that are configured?

Try creating a second user to test logging in as that user to see if the issue follows the new user.

P

puzza007

I've noticed exactly the same thing on an aluminium iMac since installing Leopard. Wonder what it could be?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.