MS Office and Leopard problems

Reaction score
Is anyone having trouble launching MS Office apps after a Leopard upgrade? I get this every time I launch.

Picture1-1.jpg

OP
H
Reaction score
This is the same "Shared Library" type error that I get on start up (posted in another thread). All my previous Word files now have a doc icon instead of Word. Quick look will let me look at them but Word, PP, Excel will not launch?! More friggin' trouble after this Leopard upgrade. Any help is...once again...appreciated.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OP
H
Reaction score
I do remember ignoring a few Office updates. I've run the Mac software updates and am good there. Is there a way to just run the one for MS Office?
This shared library error is the same type of message that opening Photoshop gives me too. Something's fishy.

OP
H
Reaction score
Sorry answered my own question and actually found the MS auto update. I'm downloading the latest update now. We'll see if that fixes the problem but I'm not too hopeful.

OP
H
Reaction score
Well as suspected just upgraded my MS Office and ironically when I went to install the same "shared library" error came up. I'm stuck.

Do you think the geniuses at the Apple store would help me? And do they charge!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well as suspected just upgraded my MS Office and ironically when I went to install the same "shared library" error came up. I'm stuck.

Do you think the geniuses at the Apple store would help me? And do they charge!

If your computer is in warranty, you should be OK. But have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Office? The Uninstaller is in the Office folder under "Additional Tools".

OP
H
Reaction score
Wow. The Remove office icon is that nice gray/black, you know the one. And when I double click here's what I get. I can't even uninstall!

Picture2.jpg

OP
H
Reaction score
I just also booted up via my external with Tiger and wouldn't even let me launch Word and I know that was good to go before I upgraded to Leopard. It keeps giving me there is "no default application specified to open" (like above) even when I'm trying to open the mains apps and not just a document, etc?

EVERY error message I get has the words "Shared Library" somewhere in it. From Photoshop to Word, PP, Excel. Even every time I log in with an HP connectivity...whatever that means. Is it time to take a trip to the Apple store? I bought this last October, how long is the warranty?

Lee

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried popping in your Office CD and just doing a reinstall as if it wasn't even there? And if that doesn't work, try trashing the entire Office folder and then running the install again.

I think you have a lot more options to exhaust before you should consider taking it in. The standard warranty is one year from date of purchase - and I'm not sure if they'll support 3rd party applications (you might actually need to call or email Microsoft support).

When you installed Leopard, did you do an upgrade or a clean install?

OP
H
Reaction score
MS Office and Leopard problems again!

I put this here because maybe it is an operating system problem. But I just installed MS Office (2004) but when I try to launch any app under it here is what I get.

Picture1.jpg

Does anyone have any feedback?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I put this here because maybe it is an operating system problem. But I just installed MS Office (2004) but when I try to launch any app under it here is what I get.

Picture1.jpg

Does anyone have any feedback?

Yup - you need to run the Office updates. Open any of the Office apps (you may get the error message) and then click the Help menu and click Check for Updates.

Once the updates install, you won't see that error message.

OP
H
Reaction score
As soon as this error message pops up the app will close automatically so I can't even get to the help menu? Thanks again for hanging with me on this cwa!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As soon as this error message pops up the app will close automatically so I can't even get to the help menu? Thanks again for hanging with me on this cwa!

Did you ever go through a reinstall from the Office disc?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I did a re-install. Still jacked up.

Hmmm... I had the same error message when I first reinstalled Office. I was able to get past the message and still open up a blank document in Word. Then I ran the updates. Once the updates finished, the error message was no longer a problem.

I believe this update addresses Leopard compatibility issues. Give it a shot.

OP
H
Reaction score
I friggin' give up! I've done everything I can do (with your help). No problem until I upgraded to Leopard. I guess I have to make a trip to the Apple store and talk to a genius. Thanks.

Reaction score
Have you tried to delete the Microsoft Folder in your Preferences?
Users> Your user name> Library> Preferences> Microsoft!
Put the Microsoft Folder into the Trash.
When you open any Office program after that a new Microsoft Folder will be recreated automatically.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.