cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Do you need an extra 50GB, or could you deal with 200GB? Reason I ask is because you'd get much better performance (faster boot time, faster program startups, etc.) with a 7200rpm drive, but those are only available for notebooks in sizes up to 200GB.

If you really need the extra 50 gigs, the WD is a good drive.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Do you need an extra 50GB, or could you deal with 200GB? Reason I ask is because you'd get much better performance (faster boot time, faster program startups, etc.) with a 7200rpm drive, but those are only available for notebooks in sizes up to 200GB.

Agreed - if speed is of concern, the 7200rpm spindle speed is a good trade-off for the extra capacity.

Reaction score
i purchased it two weeks ago, and i love it. dont notice any slowdows or such, then again i've never had a 7200 rpm drive.

OP
celtictricky
Reaction score
Edge of the Cotswold (Just next to Liz's Gaff!!!)
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2gb, 250gb HD

Would the speed really be that much difference???? For example, currently its take iPhoto (With 5000 images in) about 17 seconds to full load with images being shown? What could I expect from the 7200rpm?

Of course - I could probably wait until after Christmas, and the 7200 250Gb could be available by then too?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Well... keep in mind that this number is going to be somewhat inaccurate because I don't know how much data it's shifting, how fragmented it is, where on the disc it is (the data on the outside edge of a hard disk platter is transferred somewhat faster than the data that's at the inner edge of the platter), etc. But, based on the calculation I just did (I divided the sustained transfer rate of a 5400rpm drive by the sustained transfer rate of a 7200rpm drive and then divided 17 seconds by that number), you'd be looking at a loading time of about 11 seconds. And that difference will grow larger as the number of pictures increases.

In other words, it's a pretty significant difference.

Reaction score
What about the sound? The 5400 drives are silent. With the 7200 speeds would there be a huge increase in sound? Never had a 7200 laptop drive before. I know on some desktop versions they can get noisy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Every 7.2k laptop drive I've ever owned (And I've owned three... the 160GB Seagate in the MBP, a Hitachi 7K60 in a Dell XPS, and a Toshiba 50GB drive in a Sager NP5620) has been completely inaudible unless you physically put your ear on the machine over the drive.

They also have no effect on battery life to speak of, and (except for the Toshiba drive, which was the second one I owned-and the last one I will EVER own) they run effectively no warmer than the 5.4k drives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.