• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple is Doomed . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
Well look at the years on some of those comments...10 years ago(pre iPod times), apple was a slowly dying company that kicked and screamed cuz it didnt want to die.

Reaction score
Gee it looks like they slightly missed a couple..........;D

M

MacHeadCase

As we can see from that article, predictions are so much fun... Which makes me think of speculation threads... Like When do you think the new Mac Pro will be unleashed? or What will the next OS X version be called? (examples out of the blue). ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
Funny all those predictions are wrong.

Apple's time is coming, it is a matter of time before they overtake Microsoft.

They have done it to Dell.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Unlikely, but I'm sure they will take quite a bit of market share back. Honestly, while Mac OS is excellent, it's appeal limited by virtue of the fact that it will only run (legally) on Apple hardware.

Really? I'm pretty sure Dell still sells many more computers than Apple does, albeit at a smaller profit margin.

See this article.

Reaction score
As we can see from that article, predictions are so much fun... Which makes me think of speculation threads... Like When do you think the new Mac Pro will be unleashed? or What will the next OS X version be called? (examples out of the blue). ;D

Perhaps we could get these astute individuals in the article to contribute their predictions??!!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Many of these were pre-iPod when Apple was on its knees. Most people then would have bet against Apple if they had money riding on it. Where do you think the company would be, honestly, if there was no iPod? Maybe not dead, maybe so, but certainly not where it is now. It's just a classic example of how you can't predict the future of any company.

Wasn't that about the same time Gateway was riding on cloud 9 with great sales, a great outlook and just opening it's own retail outlets? You just never know. If I had to pick one of the two to make it, I'm glad it was Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
What will the next OS X version be called? (examples out of the blue). ;D

It will be OS X Rusty-Spotted Cat. Instead of actually going through the trouble of making a new OS they will just put retail copies of Vista Basic in the box with a note that say "GOTCHA!" I have forseen it, it will happen because Apple is doomed!;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...

Regarding the first line: "Hello pot? Yeah, hi, this is kettle. You're black."

Anyhow, my prediction is that Apple will continue to be a small, almost insignificant company-as far as computers are concerned-for the foreseeable future (say, through 2009 or 2010). Check out their market share:
http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=5

According to those figures, it's grown less than 1.2% in almost a year. That's a statistically insignificant amount, I think. As long as Apple continues to build computers that appeal to a very narrow user base (due to things like relatively long product cycles with few if any intermediate updates, products that place form over function to the point where form interferes with good engineering practice in some systems, the perception-accurate or not-that the machines are overpriced, and the perception-again, accurate or not-that there is no software out there for them and the perception that they're difficult to integrate with networks/multiple computer households where other machines are Windows-based), they will remain-as I've said-a small, basically unimportant company, at least as far as computers are concerned.

That being said, I will grant you that there is always the possibility that they can expand their peripherals (iPhone, iPod, iTV, etc.) business and grow in that area. But the computer division isn't growing rapidly at all, according to all the numbers I've seen.

//EDIT: And they have NOT overtaken Dell in sales (and I'm not sure they have in other objectively quantifiable standard that you care to name, either). Post some numbers to back that up, please. I'd love to see them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.