All the lights are flashing correctly but no interent.

Reaction score
Hi, I've recently bought a Netgear 54MBPS Wireless ADSL2 DG834 wireless router and I'm trying to connect it via an ethernet cable to my iMac (because it doesn't have an airport card). Having plugged everything in correctly and all the correct lights are flashing on the router it still isn't working. I have attached screenshots of how my current, working internet is supplied, the error message I receive with my new modem and the settings that are applied (incorrectly) and would be incredibly grateful if you could tell me what i can do/what I should ask my ISP to do. Please don't be too technical because I'm new to all of this...

Thanks
David

screenshot_03.jpg

untitled.jpg

connectionstatus.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Have you tried clicking the renew DHCP lease tab?
Worth trying first, it worked for me when I had the same problem.

OP
D
Reaction score
Still no luck with anything. I've tried "spoofing the MAC code" but that didn't work either...

OP
D
Reaction score
Wait, could it be because I haven't "installed" anything. A CD came with it which included instructions but it also had all kinds of weird files (clearly intended for PCs though it did say it was mac compatible).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
That could be the problem yes. But if there's no Mac drivers it's a bit odd.
Look on the manufacturers web site to se if there is one in a downloads section.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Two things that look odd in those screenshots:

1) at the top, it doesn't look as though your router is receiving an IP address - are you sure you're connecting to the internet correctly?

2) Your system prefs show your Mac receiving a local IP address of 192.168.1.2 from a router at 192.168.1.1, but your NETGEAR screenshot shows the LAN port using 192.168.0.1?

OP
D
Reaction score
1) Well I'm not connecting to the internet correctly since I'm not getting any internet!! Al the lights on the box are correct, however. Do you know how I can fix it??

2) Again, I have no idea what to do about that. Do you think that's the problem? Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
1) Well I'm not connecting to the internet correctly since I'm not getting any internet!! Al the lights on the box are correct, however. Do you know how I can fix it??

2) Again, I have no idea what to do about that. Do you think that's the problem? Any ideas?
1) I just mean do you know whether the box is connecting correctly?
2) Try resetting your DHCP settings on the box.

Or consider resetting the entire router back to factory defaults and re-enter your information...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.