restoring from DMG

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, but not to macs and forums in general. I've tried searching and can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for, so any help would be AWESOME....

I just went to install 10.5 on my MBP. I didn't have enough space on the internal HD to do an upgrade, so I created a DMG of the harddrive, saved it on my 500GB USB2 external, and proceeded with a clean install. I mounted the DMG, removed my music folder, created another DMG saving it on the external HD as well, and opened Migration Assistant. I attempted to restore it from the newly created and mounted DMG, but it won't show up in the Migration Assistant window (although, the first DMG with the music folder did, but couldn't restore bc there wasn't enough space on the internal HD)...

So, my question is, how do I restore from a DMG that I created from my HD in 10.4? I've tried restore in Disk Utility, but can't add the HD to the Destination (I can add the dmg to the source though).

Reaction score
you could just mount the image and copy the contents or your user folder on the image to your user floder on your new install.

OP
B
Reaction score
thanks for the reply, but that wont transfer over all my applications and media will it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.